[Slowhand] A few thoughts

Cobhome at aol.com Cobhome at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 20:58:42 EDT 2004

I have a few thoughts  about this interesting discussion -

First - The Sun reported that EC was in attendance - get that out of the way
-

Second - while I greatly appreciate the opportunity to trade shows with the
very generous people on this list - I also like to participate in  some
passionately expressed opinions - even - especially -  those I disagree with  - are
always welcome in my opinion - so Gaetano and Delta Nick - be as opinionated as
you want - I enjoy the exchange!!!

Third - I do not think it is possible to overemphasize the power of addiction
to destroy - when EC was in his drug and drinking years - the ONLY thing he
cared about was his drugs and drink - he did not care about art - or music - he
cared about where his next pill or drink was coming from -  - I often find it
difficult to listen to stuff EC made during that time without thinking about
where he was at - how he was suffering - and frankly - the suffering he was
imposing on others - due to his addictions - I think by and large his "art" was
suffocated during that time - as was his spirit -

Four - it is IMHO - revisionist history to claim that Cocaine is an anti drug
song - during the late 70's and early 80's - when us baby boomers - along
with EC - LOVED coke - that song was a kind of celebration of coke - and was
performed and enjoyed by audiences  and EC- as a celebration - ya know - with a
wink and a nod - NOW - us middle aged boomers - reformed as we are - see the
caution in the song - and it has been "adjusted" to fit our and EC's changing
attitudes about Coke - which is fine - but let's not get dopey here and think
that the early success of Cocaine was not in part related to the popular use of
cocaine at the time - count on it - in the 80's when audiences would shout out
"cocaine" at the end of that song - it was NOT an anti drug statement ! LOL

Fifth - I have been a Clapton fan since I was 14 - and have seen him perform
during all his phases - during the 70's - the sight of this obviously sick man
bent on totally destroying himself and his talent - was so distrubing - that
I stopped going to his shows for several years - and only resumed seeing him -
when I heard he was in recovery  - I completely reject the notion that
"great art" was produced during this time - and if one wishes to accuse me of being
opinionated fine - to my mind - art  invigorates -  promotes life and informs
us about our world  and ourselves - the product of drug and alcohol induced
stupor and confusion is just that - confusion and death - and it is most
unfortunate that many younger artists  - think that they can only be creative if
they use drugs or alcohol -  which is why I think those of us who have come to
know better - must speak out strongly about this -  EC was during this time - a
captive of the money making interests who controlled him  and his "art" -  and
those  money makers put this man out on the road again and again and again
without regard for his health or sanity or the rather obvious deterioration of
his talent - until finally he was on the edge of dying - in some ways - making
a "icon" out of Blackie - is glamorizing or denying  the brutal truth about
what his life - or the life of any addict -  was like