[Slowhand] Crossroads Download (Crossloads?) and Blackie sentiments

Jerry Dunaway jdunaway65 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 22:27:21 EDT 2004

Herman:

Here is a link, using bittorrent.

http://bt.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=1449

Everyone on the list: The reason I am posting this to the list and not just replying direct to Herman is that when I went to get the addy from the site, I found this as well:

http://bt.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=1682

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival
All Star Blues Jam
06/05/04
State Fair Grounds
Dallas, TX.
FMSBD>CDR>EAC>CDWAV>CD>MKW>SHN

01. Tilt-A-Whirl (Jimmie Vaughan)
02. Five Long Years (Eric Clapton)
03. I'm Just as Sad as a Sad Man Can Be (Robert Cray)
04. Killin' Floor (Hubert Sumlin)
05. Going Down Slow (Eric Clapton)
06. Sweet Home Chicago (Buddy Guy)
07. My Time After Awhile (Buddy Guy)
08. Six Strings Down (Jimmie Vaughan)
09. Early In The Morning (Eric Clapton)
10. Hoochie Coochie Man (Buddy Guy)

Tilt-A-Whirl Band
Jimmie Vaughan
Eric Clapton
Robert Cray
Hubert Sumlin
Buddy Guy
Robert Randdolph

I read the postings on this page, and apparently the rest of the festival will appear on easytree in the near future... When it comes available, I will make covers for all (with a cohesive theme) for anyone who wants to collect it as a "set."

I have finished the cover for Clapton's show, but found a few things I want to improve on it. Will post a link for snagging the covers when I am finished.

Oh yeah, I tried to restrain myself, but I GOTTA give my 2 scents' worth on blackie: OK, maybe the albums that she was used on weren't the best output of his career, but think about all the great shows most of us have seen with that guitar. To me, there's the "icon" value of blackie (kinda like Lucille with BB King)... notice how Eric used some green, red or platinum signature strats, but eventually came back to black? Then there is the issue of sound... I thought Blackie sounded damn fine to me, matter of fact, I like it as well if not better than the lace sensors on the first signature models (again, EC has gone to vintage noiseless pickups now, which approach the sound of a classic strat... but CAN crank it out when he wants). IMHO, "Double Trouble" and "Ramblin/HYELAW" on Just one night were great, not to mention his work with Roger Waters.

And besides thos issues, not only is it an "icon" or better yet, an extension of Eric, think of all the fmaous people with whom blackie has shared a stage or studio (Stones, Freddie King, BB, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Roger Waters among others)... that in itself would grant her collectors' status, much less the fact that she was Eric's primary for so many years (He had the 335 longer, but I would almost bet Blackie has many more "miles" -- being measured on the fretboard, not the road miles she travelled).

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, remember it's just opinions. All I am saying is that to me blackie is a classic, matter of fact my first strat was a well-worn Black with maple neck and white pickguard and I "blame" Eric (and Jimi somewhat -- although he usually used the blonde ones, there were more than a few pix of him with a black one) for that decision -- wish some MF hadn't stolen that one!

Take care all,
Jerry