[Slowhand] Thoughts on MSG 6/30

gipsj at optonline.net gipsj at optonline.net
Fri Jul 2 11:44:38 EDT 2004

Just wondering if fellow Slowhanders and I attended the same show, as I came away with a very different impression than they did. But before getting into it, here are my "credentials" - I am closing in on 50 EC shows since 1974 and overall, I've been to 600 or so concerts. My point of reference does not go back to the "halcyon" days of Cream and D & D, but I believe I have seen enough of his and other shows to be able to add some perspective. To those who are disappointed that he has not re-created Cream I suggest they cut him some slack. Did you really want your hero to become a parody of himself, playing the same exact style he did almost 40 years ago? It's almost the same reaction I hear from old fogey Bob Dylan fans who haven't forgiven him for going electric. Perhaps you would be happier if EC had turned into the Beach Boys - a bunch of tired old men playing with the same band after all these years, unable to move on creatively. Perhaps you prefer the young stud type of
approach (with all due respect to Robert Randolp who I think is fantastic) of playing everything fast and furious. As I see it, part of the problem is twofold: first, we tend to hold on to and glorify things from our youth and second, we hold EC up to impossibly high standards. On point one, it is only natural that we remember the Cream or D & D days and hold on to those as the model of perfection, especially if they are our first memories of music and/or Eric Clapton. And the fact that EC is as accomplished as he is also builds up our expectations as fans. Add to this the state of current technology which allows us to listen to dozens of shows from the current tour before seeing him live and is it any wonder there are no more surprises out there? I've seen my share of shows featuring current jam bands and like all jam bands, when they are on, have some magical moments. But when they are off, the music is frankly, boring - I liken all this jamming to musical masturbation and
personally prefer improvisation within the context of a recognizable song to be far more satisfying than free form jamming. Now on to the 6/30 MSG show. I thought this was one of the best guitar performances I have seen from our hero in 30 years. It ranked up there with Nassau Coliseum 1975, Royal Albert Hall 1991, Shea Stadium 1992, Pros and Cons of Hitchiking. Crosssroads benefit 1999. It seems that EC is in a much happier place in his life (marrriage and daughter) than he was on recent tours and I base this on the inclusion of more optimistic songs like Let It Rain and Got To Get Better In A Little While and leaving out sadder songs like Tears In Heaven and River Of Tears. I found his soloing to be powerful, soulful, stirring and most times otherwordly. I don't even know how to properly describe his ability to construct a solo, how he builds each one to a dazzling finish. He was passionate and totally into the show. I was touched emotionally by each and every one of his so
los, in spite of knowing exactly which songs he was going to play and having heard several versions of each from earlier on this tour. I thought the Robert Johnson stuff was fabulous - he sang all the tunes with great passion. Never realized how good a musician Billy Preston is and his absence was noticable. Do I always like EC's choice of songs? Not always. I had been openly hostile towards hearing WT yet again, but now I don't think it's so bad and my reaction is based on the audience reaction to the first notes of the song. Who am I to say he shouldn't be playing it? Hearing that song makes a lot of his fans very happy and isn't that part of a performers job - to make his audience happy? And how I wish he would drop Cocaine from the set. However, once he stamped on the wah-wah pedal and played a helacious solo, well, that made it worthwhile for me. And the crowd was wildly into it, dancing and singing along, so once again, who am I to say that he should drop a song that pr
ovides so much joy to so many people? I hope he continues to play I Shot The Sheriff, HYELAW, Badge and Sunshine. I would never tire of hearing White Room and would love to hear Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad, but won't complain because he added gems like Walk Out In The Rain and Got To Get Better In A Little While. He played the most kick-ass version of Layla - EVER! So overall I felt it was an incredible guitar hero performance. Through his instrument, this 59 year old man served notice to the younger generation that he is still vital, still passionate, still emotional and still the standard-bearer that rock/blues players must measure themselves against.
Regards,
Jerry

Regards,
Jerry