[Slowhand] jerry's email

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:17:47 EDT 2004

Since we in Houston are deprived of a tour stop, I have only the crossroads
guitar fest to gauge this current tour and whatever snippets of Euro tour
material I've heard. But I partly agree to Jerry's assertion that we hold EC
to incredibily high standards, but I must say in my defense, I am a fanatic
of ECs s many of you others are as well. I don't yearn for the days of Cream
of D&D specifically, and i most definitely appreciate his evolution as a
guitar player. But that expectation and high standard that EC delivers on at
certain times is what makes being a fan of his GREAT.

You don't always know when that moment will be but definitely he can still
reach that pinnacle of perfect guitar playing. We've been spoiled, think
about it, EC has been making music for the public for almost 40 years!!
That's quite a track record to be judged upon and while it's not fair, I
think as fans we can be selfish at times and it's our right to
bitch/complain if we want. Doesn't mean it's anything against Clapton or his
band, but cmon Eric knows when he's having an off night when he's flubbing a
solo, he has high standards for himself, higher than we can imagine.

The Reviews from the MSG shows have been mixed. I never base this on the
print media, who never take Eric's playing in the entire context of his
life/place in life, but from the SD'ers.. The setlists won't change, neither
the solos for the most part, but for that one night we can witness so much
passion and emotion.. that's what makes him great, he genuinely loves the
material he's playing currently and the band is smokin' all cause of Doyle.
With him we get let it rain, a better sherrif, a better layla, an extended
HYELAW, and a better richer RJ set.. AND he pushes Eric I am sure.

Well all this typing and what I am trying to say is, yes chill out on the
cream comparisons, but don't ever lose passion or your opinions for wanting
what you want in Eric. He can't be all things to everyone, but how he is, is
definitely better than 99.9% guitarists in my book!

AAP