[Slowhand] Buddy Guy

Dale Kalina dgkalina at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 5 00:08:34 EDT 2004

Here is the Buddy Guy information mentioned in my previous post .  From the Armour & Co. column in the Chicago Tribune today:

Mo' better blues

Perhaps the best concert in town last week -- especially because PRINCE canceled most of his shows -- took place at Channel 11's Northwest Side studios. That's where guitar whiz kid JOHN MAYER and Chicago blues legend BUDDY GUY traded licks during a taping of "Soundstage," which will air in November.

Guy joined Mayer on stage for Mayer's bluesy "Come Back to Bed," then stuck around for "Damn Right, I've Got the Blues" and "Feels Like Rain." "He's one of the young generation of people who's really into the blues," Guy told Armour & Co. before joining Mayer on stage. "I'm grateful for that. And he can play it, too." The admiration is mutual. "Every single time I play with Buddy, it's a great experience," Mayer told us after the taping. "I get a little bit more comfortable playing with him, but I'm still in awe."

Mayer could join Guy onstage for another venture. Guy tells Armour & Co. he has talked to ERIC CLAPTON, B.B. KING and the members of ZZ TOP about putting together a monster blues show at Soldier Field to raise money for a Chicago Blues Museum for the South Loop. No specific dates have been discussed yet, but Guy says he hopes other big-name acts, such as Mayer, will join the lineup a la the "Farm Aid" benefit concerts. "With that kind of talent, we would fill that stadium -- twice," Guy told us.