[Slowhand] Guitar Players...

Garret74 at aol.com Garret74 at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 15:53:49 EDT 2004

playing. <<

Well, I'd add one or two more: Mike Bloomfield, Mick Taylor.<<<<<

I always liked Mike Bloomfield, although he was very sloppy and all over the
place. His licks seemed to be just thrown together sometimes without any
thought. But he always had a great tremelo sound, and an originality to his playing.

I don't have the high regard that you do for Mick Taylor, although his
playing was very smooth and he put his licks together fairly tastefully. I just
never got any sense of  'personality' from Mick...He's like so many other
guitarists that can play licks yet none of them have any, for lack of a better word,
originality. But yet he does have a recognizable style- and I know this
contradicts what I said earlier.  We can discuss this paradox further if you wish.

I guess we're not talking about black guitar players in this discussion?

>>>I think guitar playing by Eric Clapton can be an
especially uplifting affair, at least for me it can be<<<

He makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when he's on...he has made
me want to weep and curse the fact that I try to play guitar too....

influence on electric guitar since Charlie Christian introduced the electric
guitar to millions.<<<<

Yea, and Hendrix too.  And probably George Harrison as well, as he played in
the most popular band ever.

>>>Clapton's guitar playing was NOT like that of the others<<<

Well, he has taken it to another place, but the way I found my way to really
being able to imitate Eric was through Freddie King...and he lifted whole
passages directly from Freddie.

Cheers....

Garret