[Slowhand] still don't like doyle

Steve smevans at tds.net
Wed Jul 21 07:34:18 EDT 2004

Just my opinion, and those of an informal poll in Milwaukee last night, so
no flames please.  Look, for the most part Doyle plays the part of band
member very well...heck several last night mentioned he just flat out looked
bored with being there, but why does he feel it his place to play louder
than the rest of the band when he feels like it?  Man he just ruined a few
songs last night with his total lack of concern for his volume.  I don't
know if he was attempting to get the rest of the band to follow his lead and
crank it up a notch perhaps? .....but he would play some of his parts SO
LOUD that it just unbalanced the entire band.  I know EC must really see
great things in Doyle or he would not employ him...but that does not mean I
have to like him.
I think the Milwaukee show got off to a slow start.  The sound folks just
took too long in finding EC's vocals.  The Robert Johnson set was my
personal favorite part of the show, but it was mixed to the house so loudly
that the set lost the intimate feeling it might have otherwise produced.
And of course the crowd came to hear the hits plain and simple.  Nothing
gets the drunks out of their seats and spilling beers like Cocaine (the
song).  And speaking of drunks...the two women behind me who just had to
sing along to wonderful tonight should have had a couple more drinks so they
could have just passed out and spared us all the pain their screeching.
They had to bring in the folks with the mops twice to deal with the drinks
they were spilling all over the place.
If EC ever tours again after this jaunt around the world, I'm saving up to
how much they can drink in two hours.
And in closing, let me say Robert Randolph (sorry if spelled incorrectly) is
one of the most talented young players around.  When he joined EC's band for
the encore he was playing things that had EC just shaking his head with a
grin a mile wide on his face...no doubt that EC is impressed with this young
man.  I've not seen EC smile so much in years!
This was my first EC show in 25 years that I have gone to without my wife
who passed away two years ago.  I know she had the best seat in the house.

Steve...Madison, WI