[Slowhand] Re: Steely Dan - Chain Lightning

GCOSTA1 at nc.rr.com GCOSTA1 at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 13:14:49 EDT 2004

First of all, I didn’t say that all of Steely Dan’s material sounded like EC.  I said the guitar in the song “Chain Lightning” by the aforementioned group sounded like Clapton’s style.  While I was reasonably certain it was not Clapton, I checked the credits anyway.

Second, who the heck cares if George Carlin likes or dislikes Steely Dan fans?  I don’t particularly like George Carlin’s irreverential humor.  I’m sure he could care less.

Third…  Why do people have to judge others taste in music?  I happen to have a every eclectic taste in what I listen to.  While I really like EC, I also listen to a wide variety of musical styles, such as jazz and Cajun (DR. JOHN).  I have been known to play everything from Harry Chapin to Guns & Roses.  None of these artists may suit your tastes and that’s fine.  But, I like their material.

I bet you’d be surprised at what EC, himself listens to.  Sure, he’s partial to his blues influences, such as BB King and  Muddy Waters.  But, who knows?  When the wife and kiddies are in bed and it’s oh, so quiet in the house, he probably sneaks down to his private study and breaks out his secret stash of Neil Diamond lps!!

I can just hear him reworking “Forever In Blue Jeans” on his Strat now!

“Money talks.  But it don’t sing and dance and it don’t walk….”

- Greg