[Slowhand] Greetings from Seattle - This mailing list like Eric, needs an overall.

Lucky and Alice Crumpler crumplers at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 28 14:13:58 EDT 2004

Don,

I'll admit you have a decent point about the number of posts devoted to
distributing shows...maybe there is a better way to do that.

As for EC's shows (and assuming you meant "overhaul" instead of "overall"),
I take issue.  How many times can you look at a sunset, or watch a child
sleeping, or smell the fresh air after a summer rain?  For many it is a
question of appreciating nuance and subtlety.  I've heard EC play Badge a
number of times live and heard it on boots hundreds of times, yet at the
Crossroads Festival when it came time for that first arpeggio, all the hair
on the back of my neck stood straight up.  Every time is different, every
time is a thrill.

Sure, many of us could do without 'Wonderful Tonight', but many of the fans
absolutely love it.  I say live and let live.

As for the shows, the tours are pretty standard from night to night, but
each has something different.  This time there is the material from the new
album, plus some stuff we haven't heard in a while, including Let It Rain
and Got To Get Better In A Little While.  For me, those two are enough to
make the night worthwhile.

You said you thought about introducing your son to a live EC show.  I did
take my son and daughter to a show on the Reptile tour (San Antonio--400
plus miles) just so they will know one day they were there.  Was it worth
it?  I think so, but that is just me.  I was concerned at the time it might
be his last tour.  Luckily for all of us, it was not his last.

Some say Eric doesn't really play with fire any more and that he coasts
unless somebody is pushing him.  I don't know.  Obviously he does lean into
his work sometimes more than others.  There were a couple of times at
Crossroads that he 'hunkered down' a bit.  I have in mind particularly when
Buddy Guy first stepped out Saturday night, and then on Sunday night when it
came time for his solo during the Jeff Beck number.   Those times he gave me
chills.  The rest of the time, though, he was still clearly the cream of the
crop.

Hey, just my opinion.  And I'm not offering any boots today.

Lucky