[Slowhand] Pepsi Center review

blues4jr at aol.com blues4jr at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 07:58:28 EDT 2004

Very inciteful review. Especially the "Who could we possibly watch 20 years from now..." part.

John

Legendary Clapton at his thrilling, soulful best
By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News
July 26, 2004

After Eric Clapton's amazing Pepsi Center show three years ago, some fans grumbled that he wasn't quite on top of his game - yet, they acknowledged, it was still the most thrilling guitar performance of the year.
No one at the Pepsi Center on Saturday night could have made any such complaint.
In just a bit under two hours, Clapton covered all the things he does best, from Robert Johnson blues to soaring rock anthems, with energy and passion that you don't see out of most 25-year-olds - much less a guy who turns 60 next year. It's a reminder that Clapton is simply a treasure, and perhaps one that we've taken for granted far too long.
Who could we possibly watch 20 years from now who'll have one-tenth of Clapton's history, influence, style and power? There are many fast-playing guitarists out there, many inventive guitarists out there, but no one who can touch Clapton for the naked emotion and soul put into his notes.
Maybe he was more fiery at one time, but now we get a man who has had a lifelong relationship with the guitar, which over the years has been his muse, his gift, his downfall and his salvation. Playing the guitar is as natural as breathing for him.
He still has plenty of pyrotechnics to spare; guitar rave-ups were the highlight of nearly every song, especially Hoochie Coochie Man, I Shot the Sheriff and a tour-de- force version of Have You Ever Loved a Woman that featured extended solos from each member of the band.
You can't say enough about the band. Clapton has surrounded himself with brilliance. Chris Stainton and Billy Preston both got standing ovations for keyboard solos. Guitarist Doyle Bramhall II added wah-wah shadings to I Shot the Sheriff that were enough to make the song seem new. Bassist Nathan East was impeccable as always, his playing bringing Let It Rain to life.
The only drawback - and the only reason this show doesn't get an A+ - is that despite the inclusion of some rarities, Clapton still doesn't grasp that he's an album artist. People don't necessarily need the top hits, as demonstrated by the screaming approval for Kind Hearted Woman Blues. Fans would be just as rabid for Run So Far or I'm Tore Down.
Still, from the club shows to the arena, Saturday's show was easily the best Clapton I've witnessed.