[Slowhand] Re: 31

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 18:15:05 EDT 2004

My only criticism would be the sound mix which was way too loud in my
opinion.  The vocals often got lost on the rock numbers and even the lead
lines got obscured at times by the high volume assault.

It's rock and roll, not chamber music!  Kind of funny, I sure wish the shows *were* really loud, because if the PA were at a proper volume for a rock show, there would be no complaints about people chattering because chitchat would be impossible.  It's one reason I love my local blues club so much - the volume is no where near painful, but at the same time the folks who just want to go out to have a chat tend to find another club, which is why this place gets packed with true fans instead of "tourists" as Mark Knopfler calls them.

I am guessing that compared to seeing Cream in a small club, with blazing Marshall Stacks and Mr. Baker doing his best to pound a set of skins through the floor to China, the current shows are actually rather pedestrian in terms of volume.  I mean, ask my neighbors - just one stack can raise a hell of a racket even a quarter mile away ...

 Worst of all the mega high
volume totally messed up my recording : )

Helpful hint: for this kind of show, always make sure you're running powered mics capable of decent SPL, nothing agressive 'cause we aren't talking about The Who here, but a 20dB pad is a must as is the "low" sensitivity setting on the recorder.  Too bad as it sounds like one of the better shows!

Did you spot some crazy guy with heads on a stick???

Cheers,
The Almighty