[Slowhand] EC at HP Arena in SJ

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 2 23:37:11 EDT 2004

We just sent off Jenny Katz (SHdr visiting from Australia) - I took her to SF today. She stayed w/us for a few days, and I got her Fri/Sat EC tix (15 and 16th row). I'll bet she won the award for longest distance travelled to see EC! We all had a super time...

We got together with a few friends before the show at GordonB's - BetsyF, JanG, RickB, JennyK and Dar&me - for a bite and a beer. Thanks to KFOG (I won 5th row tickets for Saturday) and SHdr Jon Seff for helping with prime tickets for the shows...

The MAN was on fire - both nights! The blues set (the set w/in a set) was great. Expertly crafted and heavy with emotion. Otherwise, my personal highlights were 'Got to Get Better In a Little While/HYELAW' - Best on Friday night w/a long introduction; 'Walk Out in the Rain' - so good I sang along (Thank God no one could hear me); 'Badge' and 'Sheriff' - both were very stirring w/Godly solos! But it was ALL good!

I truly appreciated the band. Everyone. No weakness. Doyle is good for EC - pushes 'the MAN' just enough to bring out the best. I have always liked Chris Stainton. Steve Gadd is the band's timekeeper, and he does it so very well! Billy Preston is a jewel! He has so much fun on stage! I miss Gary Portnoy's 'harp' and found myself wanting for a couple of his solos and the richness his playing provides for the blues standards. Nathan East is always a treat, but I found him more reserved than in prior tours, and I missed hearing him take a bass solo. I even liked the 'girls' providing the background vocals, and I did not expect to like them. Their voices enhanced the vocals - it would have been 'thin' w/o their addition. My only comment would be that either their clothes were too small or their body parts too big - a bit tacky, I think. Robt Randoph was a hoot on the encores - and it was obvious that EC likes his contribution.

For me, this show had more energy than anything I have seen from Clapton since the NBTB tour. Lots of smiles back and forth among the players. Bravo!

Mel Boss

Mel Boss & Darlene Kasl
darmel at sbcglobal.net