[Slowhand] Re: Growth and other things

Cobhome at aol.com Cobhome at aol.com
Mon Aug 2 22:12:07 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/2/04 4:02:57 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Cobhome writes:

> My primary interest in this is that if there is a predisposition for one to
> form one's tastes at a certain age, being aware of this tendancy can be
> helpful and give impetus to overcome it.

I loved the music of The Who as a kid. Now, while I can still appreciate the
artistry expressed in that music  - it frankly does not appeal to who I am
now.  I suspect the anger and general teenage angst so wonderfully expressed in
those songs is clearly not about me anymore and it no longer speaks to me  as
it did "back then".  In the same sense,  rap and most music that is about being
a teen or a 20 something   does not especially appeal to me either.
Understandably as I ain't a teen/20 something and the experiences and feelings being
expressed  in that music are no more relevant to who I am now than the great
teenage angst and insecurity of vintage Who.  I do not see my failure to enjoy
rap as being symptomatic of a failure to "grow" as a person. I think it is the
opposite - a sign of  growth.
I - having twenty somethings in my family - listen to their music - and
attempt to see it from their perspective and I would not condemn it just as my mom
patiently allowed me to blast Live Cream through the house day after day.  But
it is not what I listen to.  One the other hand - I have developed a real
enjoyment of "swing" !!

 some people seek new experiences and others resist new experiences.  That is
not necessarily about a failure to develop.  It is more often than not a
quality of that person's unique temperment - the way they handle sensory stimuli.

I have  often wondered why some people have no facility for thinking:
critical
analysis. It seems that some couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag if
their lives depended on it.

Yes - I think that is the more important issue - people who simply accept
everything at face value - rather than questioning it - or recognizing the
inconsistencies.  But perhaps that too is a failure to develop and learn ??

I also think that people who still love Cream etc. - that is not simply
nostalgia - in that - listening to the music that moved you so when you were young
- rekindles that youthful enthusiasm and excitement - which is harder to
sustain when you  have a mortgage payment .  It is also understandable that EC fans
who are younger - would find the music EC made when he was younger more
relevant to who they are now - perhaps when they are 40 they'll appreciate
Unplugged more!

Cecelia