[Slowhand] LA, 8/2

Dave Dell ddell at socal.rr.com
Tue Aug 3 09:09:51 EDT 2004

Eric put on another marvelous performance last night at the Hollywood Bowl
to a sold out and boisterous crowd.  This is the only time I can recall
hearing virtually the whole crowd sing along to the chorus of Sunshine...I
certainaly wouldn't want that to happen on every song (I want to hear Eric
and the band), but it was great to see the crowd so into the music.

"Got to Get Better..." was amazing last night as well as a great run through
"Have you Ever,,," and, dare I say it, a very interesting little bit of
melodic soloing on Wonderful Tonight : )  Basically he nailed it pretty much
all night, although "Sheriff" didn't quite reach the heights of Saturday's
performance (imo), but it was close.
Overall, I think this show was "better" than Saturday's, at least it seemed
that way last night. "Let it Rain", HYELAW, "Got to Get Better", "Kind
Hearted Woman", "Cocaine" are a few that I felt were more intense than on
Saturday.  It'll be interesting to see when recordings surface, if my
impressions are correct.

On the down side, the sound man was having some problems with Eric's mic for
much of the night and whenever Eric would get close to the microphone, there
was distortion or at the least a significant muddying of the sound.  He
sounded terrific, however, on "I want a Little Girl", "Me & the Devil" and
"Kind Hearted Woman".

Thanks Eric for a Wonderul Two-Nights!  (sorry, couldn't resist)

Dave