[Slowhand] Hollywood Bowl and beyond...

Art Arias artaarias at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 14:57:32 EDT 2004

Well last nights show was really great and what more
can I say about this tour that hasn't already been
said. The special part for me was getting to meet
Scott Wallenberg who was the winner on the ticket
giveaway and his friend/guitarist/bandmate Rick. The
warmth of the afternoon turned to a cool night air
just before Eric and the band took the stage. Scott
noticed that Melia Clapton along with Julie Rose &
Ella Mae were getting seated in one of the terrace
boxes just a few in front of the one we were in, and
the younger girl with them looked like it might have
been Ruth. I told Scott it's too bad we didn't have a
copy of the NBTB on us because that was the best
source to get it to Eric, but I'm sure he's already
seen it or has a copy anyway. Robert Randolph put on a
great opening set although brief at 30 minutes. He
plays that slide like he's possessed, and the
interplay between him and Eric on the encore of Got My
Mojo Working was stunning. Eric and the band got to
work about 8:30 and proceed to rock the bowl for the
following 2 hours going through the same set list that
proceeded this night. The bowl's sound sounded to me
muddy during the loud rock & roll numbers but during
the more quiet songs things sounded crystal clear and
bright. After all the encores and final bows were
taken, Eric took the time to give all his supporting
band members a hug onstage and stopped to give an
appreciative bow to Lee Dickson who bowed back to his
longtime employer. Lee must have had a tooth bothering
his earlier as they were setting up Robert Randolphs
equipement, he was applying an ice bag to his right
side of his jaw like it was sore or bothering him.
Melia and the kids left their box just before
Wonderful Tonight was coming up in the set and their
has been some discussion lately about what now that
the tours officially over. It seems Eric and family
will spend at least a couple of more days in town as
the House Of Blues on the Sunset Strip has him
advertised one of the guest stars supporting The
Crickets this Weds. Aug. 3 along with Albert Lee,
Bobby Keys and more. Great place to see a show in a
very intimate enviroment as I had the opportunity to
see the first two nights of Eric's NBTB shows here in
'94. That was the only time I saw this place set up
tables and chairs in the normally standing room only
floor area. And yes, I paid expensively through
scalpers to go and I'd do it again for the memories of
what has been my favorite tour ever by EC. If on
schedule, we'll be listening to Eric's new album
around xmas or right after the new year and maybe
he'll decide to do another short tour to support it. A
quick hello to Heidi who scored a great seat within a
few rows from the stage last night and to those I
didn't see..Beth from NY and Steve Proctor who made it
in and spoke to Scott on his cell phone.  Here's a
link to the HOB show tomorrow night....

http://www.hob.com/tickets/eventdetail.asp?eventid=27370

                                 Art Arias