[Slowhand] instant live program

Sam Mangano smangano at solartestinglabs.com
Wed Aug 4 09:36:43 EDT 2004

this program initiated by clear channel productions the last 18 mos is
really flourishing. for artists who agree (and get a nice cut of the profits
i presume), clear channel records and distributes after the show cds at the
venues they run. the recordings are produced by a combination of the
soundboard feed and ambient mikes placed throughout the facility. they have
about 30 burners at each site (see cc.com for more details)

you sign up and pay for it ($20-25) on your way in and get a voucher, and
within 10 minutes of the completion of the show, you turn in your voucher
and get a jewel case, artwork, setlist and cds for the ride home. some of
the shows are also for sale to the public online. Kiss is doing this for
their whole tour at clear channel venues (imagine that, gene simmons trying
to make even more cash). i'd rather pay for a cd than a $40 concert tshirt,
wouldnt you?

i bought a copy of the Kiss-columbus show (my show in cleveland was not held
at a clear channel venue) off ebay for a total of $11, and its a terrific
recording, although it really illuminates the vocal weaknesses of the
singers, which is usually overlooked or not able to be heard when you are in
the moment at the show. (or your ears are still ringing from being 30 feet
away from all the bombs going off on stage like i was!).

with lagging ticket sales, i dont know why any artist, let alone EC, wouldnt
be gaga over this program? does he (or peter jackson, or anyone else on his
management team) even know this exists? he seems not to care too much about
bootlegs, why not try and make some money off his own work, and provide a
better quality recording for his fans? as recently noted in rolling stone,
the artists make relatively so much more money on merchandise than
album/ticket sales......

out
sambo8