[Slowhand] Geographical restrictions - last message

Leo Coomans meesaboogie at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 13:47:56 EDT 2004

PM wrote :

<My two cents from Austria (European Union):
<Twice a year I get a form from the customs asking for
<the value of the content. No matter whether the value
<is stated on the package or not. Recently I went to
<the customs asking for that. The guy told me, he's
<sorry but they HAVE to do some random tests. This
<happens, as I stated, maximum twice a year and causes
<boring two/three additional days to delivery. That's
<all. And don't forget, it happens maximum twice
within
<about 300 mailings. I don't know ONE single person
<that had really serious problems with the customs.
<Neither from here in Europe/the European Union, nor
<from elsewhere. The related storys I heart came
always
<"according to reports".

Well Peter, I was caught by Customs overhere and it
wasn't to ask me about the value of the package that
was mailed to me.
It was about my illegal activities mailing illegal
copied cd's out overseas - all boots.
Customs were not the worst thing. After their letter I
got one from IFPI. They asked me to pay a fee for
several hundreds of € for each illegal cd.
I could make an arrangement - I was lucky with the
mailed cd's, they were all from taper-friendly bands -
but many other traders didn't succeed in trying this
and they had to pay. Others saw their collection
confiscated - among them a long-time Stones-collector
who did some nice work for the trading-community and
still had to pay.
There really isn't any problem with mail coming into
the EC or circulating in the EC; the problem is with
mail going overseas from within the EC.
Let's face it, this is a real threath and some among
us have to be very carefull. It is known IFPI keeps
addresses and exchanges them with the international
partners.
Leo.