[Slowhand] Re: Customs Declaration

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 23:09:55 EDT 2004

I have just mailed four sets of Belfast (3 to the U.S. and 1 to N.Z.) at the
local Post Office.  As before, I had to fill in a customs declaration with
name, address, telephone number, description of goods, value and sign it.
However, this time I also had to show ID, my drivers licence number was put
on the computer and then a bright orange sticker was added to the items
stating "ID Recorded".

--------

Don't panic.  There were many changes in the U.S. Postal system after some high profile problems in the late 1990s. For instance customs forms began to be required for all international parcels and the "small packet" rate went away.  In the post-9/11 world, many postal systems are changing their security requirements, and in particular after the anthrax problem in the US the procedures for handling any parcels has changed.  As one example, it used to be the case that with sufficient postage affixed one could simply drop a parcel into a mail collection bin to be picked up, but now all parcels must be tendered to a warm body in person.  So as the US and other postal systems tighten their security requirements, you will find that at least for international shipments, other countries' postal systems will change their requirements in order to have their shipments accepted in the receiving country. It really doesn't have as much to do with customs as it does with security. Trust me, a few
 CD-Rs are pretty far down the list of things they are searching for, well behind nuclear weapons, chemicals, biohazards, non-exportable technology, firearms, etc. You're more liable to have problems with "real" CDs, and may be hit with a tariff if for example you're ordering a title not available in your country but with unlabeled CD-Rs it's pretty hard to determine even a problem since so many bands do allow taping and trading.

Me, I'm still pissed that Australia in their wisdom won't allow Foster's lager out of the country.  Even tried to get a friend to smuggle me out some oil cans and she got "busted" at the airport and had to throw it away - what a waste!

My favorite customs story?  Had a parcel with videotapes of some of EC's South America shows from the 1990 tour coming from Uruguay of all places, and months later, certain I had been ripped off, I received the parcel which had been opened by customs as identified by a large "INSPECTED BY US CUSTOMS - MIAMI FLORIDA" sticker.  Both tapes were at the end.  Emailed the trader and thanked him, in the process mentioning that it really is best to rewind tapes before mailing them - and he had.  It seems that there are EC fans working for US Customs at least in Miami ...

Cheers,
The Almighty