[Slowhand] Re: TJ

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 23:10:21 EDT 2004

I don't see how burning cd's at "track at once" can
have such an atrocious affect on the quality of the
music.  Thats whats important here.  The music.  The
fact is that the MUSIC is still intact despite the
fact that there is a bit of time in between the songs.

And that attitude (common on this list BTW) is exactly why I will
no longer take part in these offers.

In case you missed the point - the reason the labels delayed and
fought the concept of DIGITAL copies has been because they do
not want identical copies being made - thus the forays into
encryption, copy protection, etc.  Of course if it was just SD
members they had to worry with, it would not be a problem since
I think many of these folks probably do well to operate a toaster.

It's either a copy - or it's not. Period.

And if you "don't have the time" (my personal favorite) to do it correctly
then why not simply take that wasted time spent in half-assing
something, and put it to something else that you can do 100%?

I'm sure you have a disclaimer about not wanting
track at once discs and what not and maybe some people
are just retards who don't read or pay attention and
trade anyway.

Honestly? I used to think many people maybe didn't even LISTEN to the
stuff they got in trade. Now I know better. They don't CARE.  And if you
say anything ... well then you're just the jerk.

But for a casual EC fan, or a casual classic rock
music fan in general.  track at once is not that big
of a deal.

As I have stated before - no problem with that.  But it's almost like people
can't HELP themselves.  I can't tell you how many times I tried to give out
bum discs I've gotten in trade so others could enjoy them, and expressly
told them they were NOT to be copied, only to find them doing that later
or even better, my personal favorite, "fixing" them.  This is of course for
the people with nothing better to do.  They're almost as funny as the idiots
(yes on this list) who take the bootleg LP, transfer it to CD and then try to
"trade" it out as a copy of the bootleg CD of the same name.  Of course
in this case they miss one teeny weeny little detail like PUTTING THE
FREAKING SIDE B ON BEFORE SIDE A as if we wouldn't notice the
clicks, pops, and noise from vinyl anyways. Little stuff like that (hello, I know
you will see this you f&^*^!g pinhead).

 I respect tapers wishes and will
never ever spread an mp3 copy of something I
downloaded in lossless format

Why not? Knock yourself out, go for broke, most of the people on this list
wouldn't know the difference either if you hit 'em over the head with it.

Oh - and here's a trick for when you do it, and this goes with the CDs I
tossed out today that I got in "trade" ... if you source something from mp3,
what you do then, in case someone checks for the little gaps at the track
boundaries, simply edit the thing together as one big WAV file, then
reauthor to CD with the track marks after the "fixed" gaps a few seconds.
This is of course to me sort of like when I cut all the hair off the cat when I
was about 5 and then claimed to have no knowledge of it ... when I had a
pair of scissors and was covered in cat hair. File this under "they'll never
notice - really". Idiots, all idiots.

with bittorrent,
it has pretty much eliminated the absolute necessity
of trading for the casual trader...unless theres
something you really want...and oh well your outta
luck or you can hope for a b&p.

Absolutely, downloading is the absolute ultimate end, the electronic tit
for those to suck off of, who don't have enough dedication to the
hobby to put any real work in.  You know, the folks who just can't be
bothered to copy a disc and put it in the mail.  Usually while stealing
employer supplied bandwidth and/or time as well. But there's the catch,
downloading is like eBay - you only get to buy what someone lists. If
you're looking for a specific item - particularly a rare one, you're screwed.

but I don't underwstand why
it would matter to you what others are doing in their
trades or whatever.  How does it affect you?

It affects us *all* once this stuff gets in the trading pool.  Because the
lowest common denominator pulls everyone down.  It affects me when
*I* try to get a copy of something passed on the SD and I get it
after Zippy the Pinhead has done his thing. And it affects me because
*I* am the one who gets the gazillion emails a day from people pleading
"every copy of this show I have gotten has been screwed up, and I
figured if anyone had it you do" which is just so pathetic and sad because
there's absolutely no reason for it.

Would you
rather the guy just hoarded it and kept it to himself
instead of spreading it for others, or worse sold a
copy on ebay?

There is only ONE PLACE a bum disc belongs - in the trash, period.

But as I wrote - others don't see it that way.  It apparently is my viewpoint
that is out of the mainstream here, so it's up to me to bow out, not you.

You have quite eloquently summed up exactly the reason I made my
decison - bravo. I'm just super glad that with that attitude you aren't my
doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. ... i.e "not a detail guy" LOL.