[Slowhand] the trading debate

Claptofan claptofan at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 07:07:07 EDT 2004

Well, I don't have very strong opinions on this issue,
although I do remember a 1998 MSG recording that I
BOUGHT from some rip-off artist (whose name escapes me
but used to lurch around the digest) which had gaps
between the songs and it was quite annoying.

I would like to ask that the people who are most vocal
in the debate need to remember one simple thing.  The
vast majority of us are just regular people who do not
know or understand the technology as well as you do.
I have burned and traded many times, and I have no
idea what DAO means. I don't know what FLAC (or just
about any other abbreviation I have seen in this
debate) means.  If I had sent out a bad copy of a
disc, I would just want to know from the recipients
that I did such a thing, then probably ask the digest
gurus to help me avoid doing it the next time, and fix
the problem for those I "did" it to the first time.  I
am not using this as an excuse for people who
knowingly send out bad material, and I can easily see
how bad copies flood the market; but I think it may be
more harmless than some people might appreciate (i.e.
there may be no intent; it may just be that someone
doesn't know they are sending out a disc with gaps).

I would love to see someone sit down and help those of
us who are technologically behind by either posting a
website or sending out a quick decoder of
abbreviations to help people like me understand how to
avoid making a bad disc in the future.  If DAO is one
simple click away, I would certainly do it if it made
a better product for those involved.

eric