[Slowhand] WOW, Mark...........

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 18 08:43:51 EDT 2004

  ......you definitely fired a broadside and a well deserved one it was
too. Our group is definitely slacking when it comes to self-policing. As
you said, we are ALL responsible and only we can set the level of
expectation for others to follow. I read SD #s 453-456, all together,
earlier this morning, and I was struck by the first response to your
message. It was an attempt to justify the very behavior that you had so
eloquently condemned! This got me to thinking about what made our group
different from others. I would have to guess that our group is comprised
of folks who are pretty much the same as other music groups. Why then
this large disconnect between it's members. I could only surmise that
perhaps we might need an FAQ to establish standards and govern our
behavior when interacting on the SD. Most of the Newsgroups and Fan
Groups that I have visited have an FAQ to establish resonable
expectations of participant behavior. The SD, on the other hand, is more
like the wild west, pretty much anything goes. Yes, many of us already
have a good idea of what the standards are in the trading community, but
a great deal of our members obviously don't. Its hard to enforce
standards that are assumed. If we establish trading standards and hold
our members accountable, we can't help but improve trading behavior.

Mark, your frustration came through LOUD AND CLEAR in your message. I
must add, though, that your contribution to the SD community is
invaluable. Any retreat from full participation, on your part,
diminishes the SD. As I read your message, I found myself looking in a
mirror, because I myself am guilty of some of the transgressions you cited.

Maybe it's time we realize that the SD has grown significantly since the
Fish days and we need to  establish guidelines. I would be willing to
offer my services in any capacity (input, research, compiling, editing,
whatever) to work with other like minded SD members to establish an SD
FAQ. Dave has done a fantastic job of keeping the SD alive, and now the
members need to step up to the plate as well. Hopefully Dave will concur
and sanction this effort.

Thoughts, ideas????????

   They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
   and our people, and neither do we".......George W. Bush