[Slowhand] Re: Guidelines

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 21:17:47 EDT 2004

Am certainly on board with some general guidelines in terms of relevancy of posts and stuff like that. However, I also think that we should have the freedome to post what we think is relevant and interesting to the group.

100% agreed. One of the problems with the internet lately is the "splinter group" effect as each little sub-group moves off on its own.  I for one enjoy all the diverse interests of different EC fans ... well, most of 'em. And even some of the really off the wall ones can be sort of entertaining sometimes.  I for one really miss what many of us called the "EC Stalker List" that used to be around.  Talk about a doctoral thesis waiting to happen ...

Here's a blast from the past ... who remembers "Rose P. Slowhand"??? Proof that in fact, drugs really DO kill brain cells - but in a funny way. Wow.

 One thing I personally cannot stand is people who come on here and post EBAY links of EC material they are selling or offer to sell stuff directly.

Personally - I have no problem with it. Don't want it? Don't buy it.  Funny to me that the most rabid anti-capitalist types are the hypocrites who then when asked to make someone a copy of a show "just don't have time" or "don't want that one getting out" or some such B.S.  I'd much rather pony up my $$ for something I want than do without.  That's what drives me up a wall so much about the SEKRIT SOCIETY folks is that they just can't stand the thought of some EVIL BOOTLEGGER getting his dirty slimy paws on a show.  I mean, god forbid that some fan who doesn't have the time or interest in trading (i.e. "has a life") can fork over some cash and get a recording that he/she might enjoy a bit, that meanwhile the strange collector/hoarder type can't be bothered to copy. Not that any of us have the TIME to churn out stuff endlessly for anyone who wants it - thus the idea of passing stuff out to a few who will continue the process.

And anyone who DOES have stuff to sell ... PLEASE contact me, I am going back to buying boots since it's apparently impossible to get clones of discs any more.  Compiling a list now of stuff I've been totally unable to get in trade without defects, including all the new MV stuff.  I pay finder's fees, too ... what's that saying, money walks and ... and ... how's that go again?

 I don't mind the constant posts for trades or offers of CD's - that is all part of being in this community. I don't think it is something to be critical of.

Agreed. And I think this also ties in nicely with the above. Why? It's easy.  I think a lot of the problems are caused by people without much investment of time OR money.  Because those of us who have, are willing to go just that extra step.  Get used to paying $50 a pop (or more) per bootleg, and let me tell you, CD-R blanks seem a great bargain in comparison, and people will take the few seconds to go to "google.com" and research how to copy an audio CD properly, and not even need the spoonfeeding that some people think they require.

That said - I think the idea of a SD FAQ is an excellent one.  For my contribution I'll be glad to rip and supply the sound quote of Bill Murray in 'Stripes' saying "That's the FAQ, Jack!!!!" (well that's not what he really says but it's close enough and the concept amuses me, so there you go).

I'd love to do more especially with a ripping/burning guide and may at some point in the future but it's a little difficult for me since I have no idea how people screw stuff up they way they do even when I've tried to do it deliberately.  And right now I am completely and totally consumed with trying to come up with some way to torture Steve "Head on a Stick" Proctor, so I do have other priorities to attend to ...