[Slowhand] Re: Guidelines

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 06:03:48 EDT 2004

Folks,

Just a suggestion ...

If you are quoting from a previous post, please let us know either by
including "quotes" or other means, such as by enclosing quoted text >>
within carat marks. <<

Several folks have recently repeated the text of previous posts, as if it
were their own. This becomes confusing to the reader.

It doesn't really matter, as long as that text is identified as being
someone else's.

--- BREAK ---

On another note, here's my vote in favor of what my Slowhand buddy, Mark
Deavult, has advocated: please take care to burn discs carefully. It doesn't
take a helluva lot to:

1. Use decent media. For those buying CD-Rs in stores, this usually means
TDK. If buying bulk from a supplier, such as American-Digital, there are a
number of quality brands, which can be obtained much cheaper. Ask a trading
buddy for advice.

2. Download, install, and use EAC (Exact Audio Copy). In fact, EAC can
sometimes break through copyright protection. And the best part, it's freely
available on the Internet for no charge (the author requests only that you
send him a postcard).

3. Learn how to burn without gaps. This usually means burning DAO vs. TAO
(Disk-At-Once vs. Track-At-Once). However, with programs such as Nero, one
has to remove gaps manually between each track, even when burning DAO. But
it's really easy and takes just seconds to do.

4. When burning, shutting off all other applications often ensures that your
efforts do not result in beverage coasters.

5. When I first bought and installed a burner, I committed the "gap sin" in
a trade. The individual on the other end explained how to correct the
problem, I burned another "gapless" disc, and have never again committed
that sin (well, once, but I kept it for myself).

6. We're not talking rocket science here, but common courtesy instead. A
question or two to a fellow Slowhand Digest subscriber will often result in,
"Oh, okay now I've got it." It really doesn't take much.

                DeltaNick