[Slowhand] Re:Guidelines

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 19 11:45:17 EDT 2004

Hi all,
Thanks to Delta Nick for sharing some disc copying guidelines - good 'down-to-Earth' advise.
I have looked into EAC software but have not downloaded it yet. It is on my list of 'things to do,' but since Roxio6 hasn't given me any problems, I have not been real motivated to do so. I have burned many hundreds of discs using Roxio and have never produced one with gaps. I got some "digi-noise" (as Mark calls it) one time, but I found that the corruption was on my master, which I corrected by getting a new master (thanks again Andre). When Roxio fails, it just errors out, and I have to redo the process. Up to now, the problem has always been 'debris on the master', and when the master is cleaned, the duping process has worked fine for me. EAC is a cool program because it - iteratively error checks and tries again. Neat. I will definitely get EAC (free), but Roxio does a pretty good job if you already happen to have it (just make sure that the option - if it exists - is set to 'disk at once'. Version 6 no longer seems to have that option setting, at least I couldn't find it).
As for disc media, I have had good luck with TDK (Costco $30/100) for general trading. Mark turned me on to MAM-A ($50/100) that I use for trading when I can use a 650MB disc, and I use KLONE gold for personal archival ($100/100). I have heard that Fugi and Memorex should be avoided.
The most relevant tip I can give is to care about what you are doing. I do quality checks whenever I copy a disc to make sure that I am not producing coasters.
Also, I think that it would be helpful to generate a 'TechTips' page at a site location to which experienced traders would contribute. That way we would all learn from past mistakes. Links to locations like EAC and media sources would be provided along with generally accepted guidelines and technical tips and explanations (I have a feeling that Mark is already thinking along these line)...
Cheers all,
Mel Boss

Mel Boss & Darlene Kasl
darmel at sbcglobal.net