[Slowhand] Re : Guidelines (Mel Boss)

Leo Coomans meesaboogie at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 15:19:52 EDT 2004

Mel uses Roxio for ripping discs (and burning as well,
I presume) and in his own words "Roxio6 hasn't given
me any problems, I have not been real motivated to do
so". By which he means : using EAC.

I'll try to shine a light on this for there is a great
difference in the way EAC and Roxio read an
audio-disc.

First of all, nearly all CD-,CD-r,DVD, DVD-r readers
do have a problem. They don't start reading at the
very beginning of a disc or even a track. This is
called the offset. It means the reader misses some
samples (a few or up to a 1000), or even worse it adds
some samples to the wav-file.
Roxio has no way to correct this. Feurio and EAC have
the possibility to have this corrected and so they can
read exact copies from an audio-disc.

Second, why worry about a few missing samples?
It does matter because in the burning process all
tracks end up on an exact sector on the cd, if the
sector isn't filled with sound, there's some silence
added at the end of the track.
And this is why a 6th or 10th generation copy ripped
and burend with Roxio and similar software has some
microgaps inbetween the tracks. The problem grows with
the generation.
Third, nowadays nearly 50% of the audio-discs I
receive have these microgaps. You can make them
visible with software as Goldwave, CDwave, etc.
Unless these microgaps fill up a whole sector, there
is no use in removing them, for they will show up
again after the new burning process. There is only one
way to remove them and that is by making 1 big
wav-file, removing the microgaps and making new
tracks. But even then one can't add what was lost in
the past, so you always end up with a loss of quality.

I know it is technical, but it is as simple as it can
be : use EAC or Feurio (with correct settings) and
don't use anything else to rip discs to spread within
the trading-community.

Just my 2 cents.
Leo.