[Slowhand] Re: Da Boss Man

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 21:03:19 EDT 2004

error checks and tries again. Neat. I will definitely get EAC (free), but Roxio does a pretty good job if you already happen to have it (just make sure that the option - if it exists - is set to 'disk at once'. Version 6 no longer seems to have that option setting, at least I could n't find it).

EEK!

If I can give one single piece of advice about burning CDs it is this ... NEVER use the Roxio/Adaptec software under ANY circumstances. Period.  It is the single worst written, most poorly engineered, horrible software ever foisted on the public and is responsible IMHO for the vast majority of problems many people encounter.

Let's put it this way ... most experienced folks call it not "EZ-CD Creator" but "EZ-CD Destructor" which says it all.

Adaptec (former owner) used to have a mailing list devoted to the software and it was the biggest flame war you have EVER seen, directed at the company. They finally pulled it out of some sense of self preservation.  It was really, really ugly.

I have never seen software that will do the totally bizarre stuff Roxio is capable of ... burn an entire disc DAO *except* for say the track 4-5 juncture.  Totally weird.

And the bad news, and you guys do NOT want to hear this but ... the Roxio software installs itself into Windows with more vigor than that face sucker thing in Alien goes after its human host.  It puts tentacles everywhere and is just plain impossible to exterminate from the system, the only way I have found to completely certify a WinBox to be vermin/Roxio free is to simply wipe the HD, reformat, and reinstall from scratch WITHOUT the Roxio product. Yikes.

As for disc media, I have had good luck with TDK (Costco $30/100) for general trading. Mark turned me on to MAM-A ($50/100) that I use for trading when I can use a 650MB disc, and I use KLONE gold for personal archival ($100/100). I have heard that Fugi and Memorex should be avoided.

AVOID MEMOREX AT ALL COSTS!

Memorex as a company ceased to exist in the 1970s/1980s.  The current "Memorex" is only a brand name, they buy OEM product from the lowest bidder and put their logo on it.  From time to time they do use "B" grade Japanese made blanks but mostly it's the drastically inferior Taiwan crap.  Fuji I don't know, there for many years it was Japan made T/Y stuff as was TDK but I have heard TDK has changed.

Your best bet - go to www.american-digital.com, you can buy T/Y unbranded on spindles for CHEAP and best of all you don't have to deal with the slave drones at Worst Buy (sorry Michael).  It is my understanding that the Klone Gold are going bye-bye to be replaced by Japan made T/Y product, Mitsui gold/gold are still there.  I use the Mitsui gold/gold for all my personal stuff, Mitsui/Kodak silvers for those who reciprocate with me and T/Y unbranded for everyone else. All good stuff.

And since I know someone will ask ... for DVDs, stick with Japan stuff for masters (Maxell, Pioneer, etc.) and I absolutely cannot believe I am saying this, in public no less, but I have had amazing luck with the Princo 4x white inkjet printables. Princo makes some of the absolute most crappy CDs out there but the DVDs (it's a different technology, many people don't realize the discs are very very different) have been quite bulletproof for me.  Keep in mind I'm buying from Am-Dig, do NOT buy Princo from most places as they do sell "B" grade and that's what you see on eBay and many other online retailers.  And be ESPECIALLY wary of buying "unbranded" CD/DVD blanks from many online vendors as most of the time you're getting generic JUNK.  I know Am-Dig does not do this, but I personally helped bust a prominent online retailer who was selling "unbranded' Maxell DVD-R blanks as I purchased some and sent to Maxell upon their request after I wrote and asked them about this issue.  Be
 *very* wary of this.

Hope this helps!