[Slowhand] Guidelines

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 20 01:44:22 EDT 2004

I have been surprised from my past experiences how otherwise kind and well mannered people become "evil" in their email exchanges, for if their face-to-face exchanges with people took on the tone of their electronic ones, they would surely get smacked daily... I made what I thought was a good suggestion to provide a techtip/guideline source for traders, and I am insulted and misinterpreted for my efforts:

"Mel uses Roxio for ripping discs (and burning as well,

I presume) and in his own words "Roxio6 hasn't given

me any problems, I have not been real motivated to do
so". By which he means : using EAC."

and

"EEK!

If I can give one single piece of advice about burning CDs it is this ... NEVER use the

Roxio/Adaptec software under ANY circumstances. Period.  It is the single worst written,

most poorly engineered, horrible software ever foisted on the public and is responsible
IMHO for the vast majority of problems many people encounter."

Actually, I did not say anything about "ripping." Ninety-five percent of the time, my activities are purely duping an existing "master," and for that activity, Roxio served me well, and my copies have been and still are indistinguishable from the original (otw, I would have stopped using Roxio long ago).

Second, I didn't say that I would not move to EAC software. This code with iterative, error checking appears to be the "right stuff". What I said was - I have a life and wasn't about to drop everything else I am doing to fiddle with EAC right now...

There are a couple of dozen SHs 'out there' who can attest to the quality of the boots that I have put out. I have sent copies to anyone and anywhere w/o reservation, and I don't require anything in return. I spot check everything I mail out, and there are no gaps (or micro gaps) in anything I have ever sent - to my knowledge. I have a drop-dead audio system that highlights any flaws, and my latest acquisition is a Sota Sapphire TT that beats the hell out of any CD player I have yet heard! I don't appreciate being talked down to or ridiculed - people don't do it to my face for a damned good reason. I thought that Delta Nick made some good suggestions, and disseminated good information. His was among the few positive items that I have read in this digest lately. Pity that this digest has taken on such a surly tone lately.

Mel Boss & Darlene Kasl
darmel at sbcglobal.net