[Slowhand] Re: Guidelines

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 07:27:39 EDT 2004

Actually, I did not say anything about "ripping." Ninety-five percent of the time, my activities are purely duping an existing "master," and for that activity, Roxio served me well, and my copies have been and still are indistinguishable from the original (otw, I would have stopped using Roxio long ago).

And the point I was trying to make, is that the exact problem with the Adaptec/Roxio
software is that even when you have copied something before, it will all of a sudden
at random do entirely weird stuff.  It's like having a car that decides not to start at
random.

Second, I didn't say that I would not move to EAC software. This code with iterative, error checking appears to be the "right stuff". What I said was - I have a life and wasn't about to drop everything else I am doing to fiddle with EAC right now...

You just made my entire point in two simple, eloquent sentances.  I have gotten this
exact reaction almost every time I've suggested a change to those who have sent out
flawed discs, something just along the lines of "well I just use what came with my PC
and I just click 'copy CD', I don't have the time to mess with that other program" but
of course they still "have the time" to keep trading out using the same software. And
then react with shock and horror when someone has the temerity to say something
about it.

Sorry but no one likes to be criticized, and this was not aimed solely at you. I don't see how saying "if there is one piece of advice I can offer" can be construed as a personal attack unless you're unduly thin skinned or overly sensitive.

However, people *do* need to know that this stuff is flawed, because I can tell you that most people do NOT know of the problems with it.  How do I know? Because it came with my first ever PC burner and I learned THE HARD WAY what an infuriatingly bad program it is. I've had my struggles and would rather let others know to save you AND them a lot of headache down the road when you DO have problems with it, than to simply keep quiet and watch you (and others) fail.

No one has criticized your motives or what you have done in the past (or future) to share and spread good music.

So am I an annoying prick about this kind of stuff? Yep.  Am I a complete asshole? Yep, guess so. Guilty as charged.  Sorry if I'm not a member of the 21st century "two plus two can be seventeen if it makes you feel good" touchy-feely crowd. You think I'm a jerk? Fine with me. Lemme axe you one question tho ... when you wanted to know if there was a clean source for the Vaison show ... who did you email and ask? I'd rather be an opinionated jerk who's right more often than I'm wrong, than someone who doesn't give a crap about quality and is loved by all.

;)