[Slowhand] CD-R Media

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Fri Aug 20 09:33:28 EDT 2004

DeltaNick, re:

> I usually go with Mitsui (aka MAM-A), Klone, or Kodak (Kodak no longer makes
> CD-Rs, but there are stockpiles available here and there: if you run across
> one, buy, buy, buy if the price is right). Both Silver and Gold varieties of
> these 3 brands (the Silvers are really a mix of Gold & Silver), are
> top-of-the line. I've heard good things about Taiyo Yuden as well, but have
> never used them. I prefer to stay away from ANY CD-Rs that are not Gold or
> Silver. No colors, please, on the recording side other than what I've
> mentioned. I've always had excellent results (Yes, I know that TDKs are
> colored [blue?]).

Two things:

1) As far as I know, all CD-Rs are either gold or silver. I'm not aware of
any other reflective layers being used. And I've never seen/heard of discs
that were a mix of silver and gold.

2) ALL CD-Rs are "colored" on the recording side - that's the dye that
actually gets "recorded".

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-1

>The basic building blocks of CD-R media are organic dye and a reflective
>layer. The dye types currently in use are:

>    * cyanine dye, which is cyan blue in color (hence the name);
>    * phthalocyanine and "advanced" phthalocyanine dye, which have a
>faint aqua tinge;
>    * metalized azo, which is dark blue.

>In addition, Kodak has patented a "formazan" dye, which is light green.
>This has been reported to be a hybrid of cyanine and phthalocyanine.

>The reflective layer is either a silver alloy, the exact composition of
>which is proprietary, or 24K gold. Aluminum isn't used in CD-R media
>because the metal reacts with the dyes.

>Discs come in many different colors. The color you see is determined by
>the color of the reflective layer (gold or silver) and the color of the
>dye (light blue, dark blue, green, or colorless). For example, combining
>a gold reflective layer with cyanine (blue) dye results in a disc that is
>gold on the label side and green on the writing side.

>Many people have jumped to the conclusion that "silver" discs are made
>with pure silver, and have attempted to speculate on the relative
>reflectivity and lifespan of the media based on that assumption.
>According to one source, silver is susceptible to corrosion when exposed to sulfur
>dioxide (a common air pollutant), so manufacturers use alloys of silver
>to inhibit corrosion.

Phthalocyanine seems to be most common now. With a gold reflective layer,
the recording side will pretty much look gold. With a silver reflective
layer, the recording side will have a very light green tint to it,
although in some light you may not notice.

At any rate, I can't say I've really had any CD-R horror stories. I've
mainly used Imation, Memmorex and Verbatim, and have only had a handful of
problems in the past 6 years, all noticeable as soon as the disc was
burned. I see "stay away from cheap CD-Rs" a lot on the 'net, but I
honestly don't know why.

Luke