[Slowhand] Halcyon Days

Richard Batty rtcb at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 23:22:16 EDT 2004

Grant,

This is a great topic.  Off the top of my head, some of my favorites:

1. Don't Think Twice (from the Dylan Tribute - maybe not a guest appearance
but unbelievable solos)
2. Mr. Bluesman - Ritchie Sambora (great story, possibly in a Roberty book
about how nervous EC was)
3. City Streets - Carole King (just that incredibly sweet tone and sense of
melody that EC has)
4. Wonderful World - Zucchero (the EC tone - there's a story about someone
picking up his guitar in the studio but they couldn't replicate the tone)
5. Love Her With A Feeling - Taj Mahal (another great solo)
6. Oh Lord, Dear Lord - Jim Capaldi
EC warming up and Tom Dows knew enough to roll tape!)
8. That's The Way God Planned It - Billy Preston (when my FM station in
Montreal played the extended version in about 1970-71, I was buying
everything I could that had EC on it.  I heard this and didn't have it
confirmed for years but was sure it was EC).
9. Saturday Night  - Elton John (I forget which Prince's Trust show but EC
just goes into the stratosphere on the outro).
10. All Along the Watchtower - Lenny Kravitz (the Concert for the Century -
EC on lead)
11. I Think I Love You Too Much - Dire Straits (Knebworth 1990, the
interplay between EC and Knopfler is sublime)
12. Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck (Crossroads Festival 2004, ok
it's Jeff guesting with EC but it's a Jeff song but the way EC comes in on
the solo!)
13. Little Red Rooster - Rolling Stones (1990?  EC guests and even has Keith
shaking his head at the solo)

Now I'll go look at my collection for others!

Richard