[Slowhand] Re: Lost in Fire

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 06:45:25 EDT 2004

>> Here's an example of why people should be more willing
>> to make copies of rare recordings.  You never know
>> when they're gonna go away.  More details are at
>> http://www.losangelesblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97
>> but the short version is that Thousands of old blues
>> recordings were recently stolen from James Harman.
>> Now the word is out & there's a chance these things
>> will be destroyed or damaged.  Not to mention the rare
>> guitars.

----------------------

(above formatting added manually to keep DeltaNick off my back)

This is one of the reasons I get so bent out of shape with the
hoarders who can't stand the thought of anyone else having
access to certain recordings.  What's going to happen when their
house burns down, or there is a flood, or a divorce (the nadir of
my uncle's divorce, worse even than when the ex took a shot at
him with a shotgun, was when the ex smashed all his Stones
albums/singles in a collection that went back to the first releases).

Example: There was a pro-shot VHS of one of the early 90s EC gigs
done by a member of the crew.  This guy wouldnt' copy it, and the
only way to see it was to go to his house. Made him feel more
special I guess.  Of course he played the crap out of it ... up to
the point where the tape is/was toast and unwatchable.  Nice, eh?

I could name a dozen or more similar recordings, both audio and video,
out there right now, that some of these pathetic, weird "collectors"
won't let out for reasons I can't comprehend.  And as Pat brought up
about Hawk's recordings (which he gladly shared), it ain't like Bill will
be passing out the masters any more.

Are there any list members who have contacts with psychologists/
psychiatrists who could help steer me to research material about the
mindset of hoarder/collectors? The only reading I've found so far was some
research into art collectors, some of whom suffer from a similar
psychosis, where they hide the artwork they collect even in their own
homes, in private rooms where only they have access. The conclusion
of the research I have seen was that it was primarily due to people who
feel a lack of self esteem and a need to exert control. Interesting stuff.

Now if you want to see a *REAL* tragedy, even worse than the above,
this is what *I* fear most happening to my collection of Air Guitars:

http://www.thespeciousreport.com/2002_airguitars.html