[Slowhand] Re: EAC

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 08:29:57 EDT 2004

>> With all of the recent discussions doing the rounds about poor recording
I finally decided to try out the so called Holy Grail of copiers "Exact
Audio Copy" ... Nowhere in the tutorial does it mention how to get the
extracted files from your hard drive onto a blank disc. Is some other
software required? <<

Trevor,

EAC is for extracting (copying). Mine looks like it can burn too, but I
don't think anybody uses it for that, and I've never tried. I use Nero for
burning. The object with EAC is to extract the music digits: to make an
EXACT Audio Copy. My understanding is that commercial software does not do
that, and excludes or even changes certain data when extracting.

Once you've extracted (copied) with EAC, then go ahead and burn with
conventional, commercial software. Now, here you'll probably get arguments
as to what's good and what's bad. I used to use the EZ CD Creator that came
in the box with my Hewlett-Packard CD burner. However, when I upgraded my
former-Adaptec now-Roxio software (to version 6 Platinum, if I remember
correctly), it literally paralyzed my computer. Numerous telephone calls and
online walk-throughs with Roxio did not help, so totally disgusted, I
refunded my software, bought Nero instead, and have never looked back. I
find Nero to be robust and easy-to-use. It's certainly superior to EZ CD
Creator. Just make sure that your software supports your burner before you
buy (I checked online with Nero, which is made by a company called Ahead
[www.ahead.de or www.ahead.com]).

Bottom Line: I extract with EAC and I burn with Nero.

Benefits:

    * Although I haven't compared, EAC seems to extract (copy) faster than
both EZ CD Creator and Nero.

    * Another benefit is that EAC will break through some copyright
protection schemes. About 2-3 years ago, I was using only Nero, but it
wouldn't copy a commercial CD (yes, one on which EC appeared) because of the
copyright protection. When a friend suggested that I try extracting with
EAC, it worked like a charm first time. Since then, I always extract with
EAC, and burn with Nero.

                DeltaNick