[Slowhand] Re: Surround

Art Arias artaarias at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 23:38:43 EDT 2004

>>   Does anyone know if reprise or polydor plans on
releasing any more
>> clapton on dvd audio?  I just got riding with the
king and it's great in
>> surround sound.  I think Reptile is the only other
one available at the
>> moment.

>>>I dunno about DVD-A, but there are a couple older
releases out in DTS-Surround.

You can get these from DTS website:

 http://www.dtsonline.com/

And you can also find purchase information here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007R1A/103-8786600-1715063?v=glance

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/sellsheet-md.php?upc=710215442426

Can anyone shed light on whether or not these were
released as Quad albums
back "in the day"? Looking over the DTS catalog it
seems at first glance to be a
situation where the available titles are those that
originally had Quad mixes, so
they are simply taking the Quad masters and encoding
to DTS, not creating all new
mixes.<<<

Mark, you're absolutely right regarding the DTS
versions of DVD-A discs that have been out for quite
some years now. These early releases just encoded the
original Quad mixes from back in the mid 70's and
listening back to some of these on your surround sound
system can have some odd results regarding instruments
that you can barely hear or added background vocals. I
just purchased the SACD's of the Allman Bros. "Eat A
Peach" & "Fillmore East" and the surround mix so
outstanding it puts you right in the third row, gone
is the laughable mix from the old DTS 5.1 DVD-A CD
where all the guitar solos come from behind your head,
this new six-channel mix puts Duane and Dicky where
they belong, left and right front respectively.  The
brief drum solo on 'Hot Lanta' by Butch Trucks &
Jaimoe also have the double drummers bouncing off each
other on these speakers again. I've had bad results
from DTS versions of "461 Ocean Blvd", "There's One In
Every Crowd" and Santana's "Abraxas" DVD-Audios that
have been around from the beginning but the newer
releases like the Moody Blues "Days Of Future Past"
DTS version sounds great as I don't think this was
ever a Quad release.

                                Art Arias