[Slowhand] DAO, Replies, and the dreaded Swamp Meat

Mark Deavult mark at inna.net
Mon Aug 30 21:41:14 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sol Fischler" <solron at optonline.net>
To: "Slowhand Digest" <slowhand at planet-torque.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 11:29 PM
Subject: [Slowhand] DAO, Replies, and the dreaded Swamp Meat

> Apparently,  I made two mistakes --
>
> the first was going on vacation.

Sol -

I think vacating was not a mistake.

It's just that you picked the WRONG week.

Now the question - at this point I feel deeply, deeply sorry for you. BUT,
it's hard to tell from the media because as you know there can be in a city
of a million people, 50 to go protest something at city hall and the TV news
will cut in tight so it looks like half the population are out there
protesting.  Or if one single person there does something outlandish, that
person will be the one featured on the six-o-clock news.

So, with that said .... from the perspective here, it does appear that every
nutcase whackjob member of the absolute crazy loony left fringe has
descended on your city this week. It's like someone put out a memo saying
that anyone even a little normal had to stay home.  I mean, the right have
their nutcases as well, but the difference I guess is that they do tend to
go hole up in the woods somewhere with a lot of stored food, ammo, guns, a
spare wife or two (three?), declare themselves a soverign state, and as long
as they're left alone they simply tend to sort of mutter under their breath
about something that vaguely has to do with taxes but will mind their own
business - whereas the one common thread I see on the other extreme is that
no matter what their pet issue, (1) they do like to protest and (2) it
usually involves taking their clothes off at some point.

Keep in mind I'm not such a stick in the mud that I really mind (2).

It's just that the ones who do undress seem NEVER to be the ones you want to
see in that state!

So is it like, crazy there? Or are the media simply focusing on the
negative?

> The second was catching up on SD #'s 463 thru 492 in one sitting.
>
> My head exploded.
>
> TWICE!

You're still better off than me. I'm still nursing a migraine.  Taking
regular infusions of alcohol to help with this.

> The debris set off the smoke detector TWO ROOMS AWAY!

My head exploded too, but as many have observed it's mostly empty space so
there was nothing to set off!

> What the hell is wrong with you people?  I go away for a week,  and when I
> come back we're trading,  or we're not trading,   or people are bent
because
> we're offering TOO MUCH,  or we're trading on bad discs,  or on good
discs,
> but incorrectly,  and then there are TWO lists,  one for trading,  one for
> EC information,  and one for technical FAQ's.

Well ... that's the simple version, yes. I think. Is there a simple version?

> And what happened to "if you don't like the message,  keep scrolling..."
?
> I sure as hell didn't sit through three bloody years of "what color shoes
> did he wear?"  only to have people shouted down because they tried to
> explain the science behind CDRs.  Over and over and over again.

LOL!!!

Put on your asbestos undies.

You think the LIST was bad? Man you outta see some of the email I got.  Lots
of carnal verbs.

> Jeez Louise,  all the messages have a subject -- you don't like the
subject,
> scroll!  Skip it!  Avoid it like the plague!  But don't tell someone NOT
> post -- some of us LIKE putting tape on our glasses every once in a while
> and being told when we're doing something wrong.

The reaction from most of those folks was the equivalent of a three year old
holding his hands over his ears and yelling "I can't HEAR YOU !!!!" ;)

Now please pass the tape! I had some in my pocket protector ....

> And most importantly,  I hope we all learned a lesson from Mark -- a
graphic
> and real-life example of why we shouldn't talk on a cell phone while we
> drive!

Yes, but in my defence I'm just as rude and inconsiderate a driver with a
phone as without ;)

> Glad I got that off my chest.  Thanks,  everybody,  for winding me back
up.

My pleasure! Dammit if I don't get a relaxing vacation, no reason why you
should!

> It was a great vacation,  and I would have been HORRIBLY unprepared if I'd
> gone back to work in the totally relaxed frame of mind I was in yesterday.
>
> Now for the Swamp Meat --
>
> Oh,  sorry,  no Swamp Meat today -- because the B.B. King Crossroads set
> that I got is FULL OF GAPS!
>
> I promised to re-offer it,  but I refuse.

*sigh*

> That is,  until I get a GOOD copy.

It's not up to YOU to push your standards of quality on others! (I figured
I'd save so many others the time and trouble of writing you this)

> Maybe there is something to this quality conversation after all ...

No, you're doing it all wrong .... you should just offer to trade the crappy
CD you got with someone else's crappy CD! See, at least that way it's a fair
trade!

;)

Enjoy ... and perhaps you can take the offenders who don't want to know
anything about the simple, simple methods of burning a measly CD-Audio and
introduce them to the wonderful, exciting world of digital video?  You
haven't truly lived until you understand the full import of the words ...

RENDERING SUCKS