[Slowhand] there's one in every crowd

Susan Marchman susbastille at msn.com
Wed Nov 3 22:46:26 EST 2004

Kelly,

Hi, thanks for the welcome.  When I said that being recognized by EC and Nathan wasn't necessarily a good thing, I meant that whether it was good or less than good (not necessarily bad) depended entirely upon their thoughts at the time.

The Hollywood Bowl was my seventh show of the tour.  I was always close to the stage, and I frequently noticed Nathan smiling and nodding, mouthing "hello" or something to that effect to people in recognition--that's a nice thing, I'm sure.  When Nathan looked in my direction, smiled, nodded and even raised his guitar, I thought it possibly for me, but dismissed it.

Later, when everyone was standing (I think it was during "Cocaine"), I moved up closer to the stage.   Nathan saw me in my changed position and repeated the smile, nod, guitar in the air.  Still, I didn't think it was for me.  Nathan went through the motions a third time, looking right at me.  I got it was for me; I waved back.  At that point, Nathan sidled over to EC, said something in his ear and actually pointed to me.  Then came a second quick jab in the air directed at me.  Eric found me and smiled and nodded (as a hello to me or as an acknowledgement to Nathan and whatever Nathan was saying, I don't know).  It looked like EC said a quick something back to Nathan and they parted.

And, if I may be indulged a little longer, I'll backtrack to a couple of days before the Bowl, and abashedly admit something else that makes me wonder about the nature of this quick, little exchange.  In San Jose I slipped a note backstage to EC.  A short, sincere few words to tell him that following the tour had been the best kind of grief therapy for me and that his music had always help get me through the tough times.  I said thank you and gave a quick description of myself and my usual seating areas--while my note couldn't have been more sincere, it wasn't totally selfless--I wanted to be invited backstage (hence the description).  And wasn't I a little crushed when after the show, someone (I think it was Lee) came out and slapped a hospitality badge on the blouse of the blonde standing right next to me and told her to get backstage "now!"  Believe me, it's given a whole new meaning to "...where is my badge?"

So, to make the long trip back to your question, Kelly, it was a good thing that EC and Nathan tagged me if their their thinking was along the lines of "cool, there's that chick again, she must really love us, isn't that nice she's taken the time and expense to come and enjoy us a seventh time."  But I'll have to categorize it a not so good thing if their thinking leaned toward:  "oh, no, look, it's that chick again--the one who actually sent a note backstage--crazy stalker groupie girl...security!"

It was a long flight back home from LA; obviously I had too much time to over-think it.

susan