[Slowhand] EC Receives CBE

Sandra K. Anderson ska946 at northwestern.edu
Thu Nov 4 11:30:36 EST 2004

Buckingham Palace honors 'grown-up' Clapton
November 4, 2004 (AP)

LONDON -- Rock guitarist Eric Clapton set aside his ''rebellious streak" to
become a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, or CBE.  The
59-year-old singer-songwriter described the honor -- conferred by Princess
Anne, daughter of Queen Elizabeth II, during a ceremony Wednesday at
Buckingham Palace -- as the ''icing on the cake" of his career.  But
Clapton conceded that he would have found it hard to accept the honor, with
all its establishment connections, earlier in his life.

''I had a rebellious streak in me,'' he told reporters after the ceremony.
''As a kid I would not have been able to accept this. I was very immature
about the way I looked at that. I was against the establishment.  ''Now I
have grown up, I really think it is an important thing to be able to set an
example of some kind.''

He was accompanied by his wife, Melia McEnery, who is expecting the
couple's third child. They have two young daughters.
Clapton, who was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or
OBE, in 1994, first found fame in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds
before going on to achieve even greater international acclaim with the
power trio Cream.
He recorded his most famous song, ''Layla,'' in 1970 with his band Derek
and the Dominos, and followed that with a string of successful solo albums.  AP