[Slowhand] Cream Songs

Cobhome at aol.com Cobhome at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 14:47:30 EST 2004

.

Biggest Question: Will Jack Bruce sing, "Where is my badge?"

Oh Delta Nick - I do  agree on this - I just HATE that version of Badge -
with Nathan et al singing that "where is my badge" backup - it lyrically has no
relationship to the rest of the song - and it really seems to diminish the song
- cheesy - I do agree also that these guys are so many years removed from
their Cream days - that even physically they are unlikely to be able to approach
their original sound - power - fury etc - Ginger's serious shoulder injury -
if nothing else - would impede his drumming - and we all know how EC feels
about long solos and improvisation nowadays ( two of the hallmarks of Cream )
HOWEVER one cannot underestimate the power of synergy - and that - to some
extent - if they allow it - those original dynamics may result in some exciting and
worthwhile performances - even if what they do - is re interpret the songs to
express who they are now - and do that with integrity as musicians - it would
be an interesting footnote to the legacy of Cream and perhaps even a
celebration of their survival!  But - EC and co. dam straight better take this
seriously ( referring to his comments in the radio interview) cause - IMHO - to go
out on a stage - as if this were simply an exercise in nostalgia and
sentimentality - would result in diminishing the legacy of Cream - and each of them as
musicians - that would be a shame.  EC has the most at risk here - so I expect
he will take this seriously -

LOL _ I expect - if this does occur - a dvd will follow - and the ironic
piece of this for me - is that while in Cream - EC was such a purist - was so
into refusing to compromise as a musician for commercial interests - and here we
are - nostalgia and perhaps commercial interests ruling the day.  If one
recalls those days - even the audience rejected "hype" and the notion of
supergroups being pulled together simply for commerce - so much so that Cream's record
company - actually put a full page ad in newspapers - refuting the claim that
Cream was a pr guy at the record company's idea - seems like time has taken
it's toll on the audience's idealism about music too.

Cecelia