[Slowhand] RE: Ginger's drumming

John Walasko jwalasko at telus.net
Tue Nov 16 12:26:38 EST 2004

Sambo8 wrote;

 >>2. while jack bruce seems to still be on his game, dont expect ginger
to be
 >>pushing anyone to great heights. he couldnt keep the beat 11 years
ago at
 >>the RnR HoF Inductions, what makes you think he can do it now, esp
after a
 >>shoulder injury?

To say that Ginger couldn't keep the beat at the 1993 Hall Of Fame
ceremony is just wrong. In particular, his drumming on "Sunshine..."
from that night is fantastic.

As for the idea that the succeeding years have degraded his playing,
you obviously haven't heard the three jazz albums he made for Atlantic
Records in 1993, 1995 and 1998. Amazing drumming and musicianship. The
most recent Ginger I've heard is a radio broadcast of his jazz trio at
a European festival in 2001 - and he plays wonderfully.