[Slowhand] keeping it real

Susan Marchman susbastille at msn.com
Wed Nov 17 02:09:46 EST 2004

An expression of dissension or a little grousing here and there surely is not mutually exclusive with being a Clapton fan.

Familiarity breeds contempt, I believe is the saying.  (Contempt may be too harsh a word in this case).   But knowing EC so well for so long can breed a certain displeasure, even a kind of disdain for some of his proclivities and some of his choices.  Why not be honest about it?  What's wrong with calling EC on his flirtation with predictability and laziness?  Or taking umbrage with an EC of late who prefers to operate within the safe confines of a well-drawn comfort zone; polishing the glass to a well-choreographed script?  What's wrong with preferring a certain era?  What's wrong with wanting more from Clapton in this one?  What's wrong with admitting some measure of disappointment in a Clapton who refuses to recast himself (however briefly) in the mold from which his genius was first born to us...an incarnation for which most of us are nostalgic.

Our man is not perfect (of course).  He does not always give us what we want, how we want it (again, of course). Why whitewash over these facts or berate someone who chooses to bring them
up.

I take EC "as is."  I take whatever he's willing to give.   I take him however I can get him; in spite of any perceived shortcomings and despite any dashed dreams of a return to form of a bygone golden era.  Unconditional love, respect, appreciation and admiration for the man that is my favorite musician/singer, yes.  Blind adoration?  No.  That is for the teenyboppers.  I'll gladly take my EC just as he is, but not without occasional criticisms and longings--and that does not diminish my "fanhood."

So, DeltaNick, and others who dare not constantly fawn and gush, keep the rose-colored glasses off and keep it real.

Regards,
susan