[Slowhand] B&P tips.... note tip (G)

Scott Wallenberg scottw at frazmtn.com
Wed Nov 17 02:28:47 EST 2004

As posted on the Allman Bros list from member Billy Hollems

SUGGESTED GUIDELINES FOR B&P'S / TRADES:

1) Communication is the key to successful and enjoyable trades and B&P's.
As the trade or B&P is taking place, be sure to communicate all your issues
and concerns ahead of time.  Let each other know when you send or receive
discs all along the process.  In addition, at the end of the trade or B&P,
be sure to express your gratitude through your own personality.  A little
"at a boy or girl" goes a long way and feels real good.  It's important to
be cool with one another.

2) Please take the requested number of blank CD-R=B9s, packed in disc
storage
sleeves.  Do not send Jewel Cases.  They tend to break in transit in bubble
mailers and are more costly to send. I prefer Case Logic or Fellowes
sleeves.  Both Case Logic and Fellowes sleeves are double CD  capacity
plastic sleeves.  If you are using sleeve envelopes designed for a single
CD, then use one sleeve envelope per CD.  Do not put multiple CD's in single
envelopes or sleeves.  Occasionally, some traders will prefer to send an
additional disc in the event that there is a problem.  This is not mandatory
and is something that should be discussed ahead of time.  It can always be
sent back if it is not used, however, it will effect the cost of postage.
You will not need to send additional discs with me.  I personally like to
take care of this on the back end and save the postage up front.

3) Place these inside a padded bubble mailer, addressed to you.  Do not use
fiber mailers.  Fiber mailers can be destructive to the CD-Writer.  If you
are going to use recycled bubble mailers, be sure to use discretion as to
the condition of the mailer.  After awhile, it's time to retire used
mailers.  I have found that six to ten discs in double capacity Case Logic
or Fellowes sleeves send well in size "0" 6 x 9 bubble mailers.  They are
relatively inexpensive, especially if you purchase them in bulk from Office
Max or another office type supply company.  When the outside of a bubble
mailer becomes worn, I have also found it useful to trim down  the used 6 X
9 bubble mailer as a protective sleeve placed inside of a new 6 X 9 manila
envelope as the mailer.  This is a creative way to recycle and is
inexpensive if you purchase the 6 X 9 manila envelopes in bulk.  After a
while of use, the air will escape from the bubble mailer and then it's time
to replace.

3a) I personally feel that no staples should ever be used.  However, some
traders prefer to staple the end of the envelope shut.

3b) Some traders prefer to have their B&P's sent out and returned to them in
the same bubble mailers.  This is acceptable only if the bubble mailer is in
good condition.  The key here is that the bubble mailer being sent is in
re-usable condition and pre-prepped labels are ready to go along with the
necessary proper postage needed.  I feel that the person asking to get in on
a B&P should make the process as easy and flawless as possible for the
trader who is offering up the B&P.  This method is usually preferred by
traders with small mail boxes and the larger envelopes have to be jammed
into their mail boxes upon delivery.  For this reason, it is easier to use
the size "0" 6 X 9 bubble mailers for sending and receiving of B&P's.

4) Affix the bubble mailer that is addressed to you, with appropriate return
postage, in stamps, not metered postage.  Be sure to leave this mailer
unsealed.

5) Place this bubble mailer, with the discs enclosed, inside an envelope one
size bigger.  It is not necessary that the outside envelope be padded.  Size
9 X12 or 7.5 X 10.5 envelopes work out to be about perfect with size "0" 6 =
9 bubble mailers.

6) Don't forget to include a note reminding me of the B&P or what I will be
burning for you along with your e-mail and snail-mail addresses.  I will be
in contact with you along the process via e-mail.

7) Seal it up and address it to:

8) When you receive the discs back from me, just sit back and enjoy the
show!

ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR TRADES AND OFFERING B&P's:

A) This is the list of quality CDR media I prefer.  These discs are
generally manufactured from either of these two companies, which produce
quality CDR media, Taiyo-Yuden Company and Mitsui Chemicals.  Be sure to
read the labels for made in Japan when purchasing discs manufactured by
these two companies.

Sony
TDK
Mitsui
Kodak
Fujifilm 80's / Made in Japan
HP 74's / Made in Japan

* Media other than these brands should be discussed with me before the trade
or B&P.

B)  All discs should be shipped in CD sleeves.  I prefer Case Logic or
Fellowes double capacity plastic sleeves.

C)  Trades should be made even up with quality media and supplies.
Consideration should be given when trading or doing a B&P with someone from
a country outside of your own.  United States return postage does not work
going out of countries other than the USA.  Arrangements should be made
ahead of time as to an equal or fair agreement.  Some traders send
additional blank media to make up for any differences.

D)  When sending on a show to the recipient, either in a trade or B&P, you
should always include all information that you have on that show.  If
available, you should include, date, venue, city, set lists, and source
information.  Unfortunately, this information is not always available.  Some
traders choose to be more adamant on this subject than I am.  I am certainly
interested in shows that sound great, however, if the source information is
not available, I'm okay with that.  MP3 source files of a show are never
acceptable.

E)  Cover Art is not necessary or expected, however, it's really cool when
it comes with the trade or B&P.  If available, information as to where to
get the cover art or set lists is always appreciated.

F)  Writing on the information area of the disc should be left up the trader
receiving the show.  I personally do not mind if minimal information is
written on the inner circle of the disc.  I put the information on little
pieces of paper or post-its, that I include with the CD in the CD sleeve,
when I am doing a trade or B&P.

G)  When burning a show for a trade or B&P, be sure that you burn it without
the gaps in between tracks.

H)  The bottom line................Enjoy!

ADDITIONAL GOODIES:

A pictorial guideline link:  http://www.mcnichol.com/bnp/
A FAQ and information link:  http://cdrfag.org/

POSTAL RATE INFORMATION:

I have found these rates to be correct if you are sending your trade using
Case Logic, Fellowes or paper sleeve envelopes in size "0" 6 X 9 CareMail
Brand Bubble Mailers.  I personally do not like to send more that ten discs
in a mailer.  This list goes to twelve discs.  Anything more than ten discs,
I split up into two mailers.  When sending out your media for a B&P, the
outside non-padded larger envelope may require additional postage depending
on the number of discs in the bubble mailer.

NUMBER OF CD's    6 X 9 BUBBLE MAILER  /  OUT ENVELOPE: 9 X 12 or 7.5 X 10.5

       1                                     $0.60     /     $0.60
       2                                     $0.60     /     $0.83
       3                                     $0.83     /     $1.06
       4                                     $1.06     /     $1.06
       5                                     $1.06     /     $1.29
       6                                     $1.29     /     $1.52
       7                                     $1.52     /     $1.52
       8                                     $1.52     /     $1.75
       9                                     $1.75     /     $1.98
      10                                    $1.98     /     $1.98
      11                                    $1.98     /     $2.21
      12                                    $2.21     /     $2.44

Peace

Billy Hollems
thesweetriver at earthlink.net