[Slowhand] Buddy Guy - New RnR Hall of Fame Inductee

Sandra K. Anderson ska946 at northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 14 18:40:08 EST 2004

 From the Chicago Sun-Times (by Dave Hoekstra)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-rockhall14.html

Chicago blues legend Buddy Guy is the dean of the new performers being
inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Joining Guy at next year's
20th annual induction ceremony will be U2, the O'Jays, the Pretenders and
Percy Sledge, whose 2004 comeback album "Shining Through the Rain" was
underwritten by Jonathan, Lisette and Sophia Bross of Chicago.

Guy, 68, gained entry on his first nomination.

"I'm a bit hyped," Guy said Monday night from Buddy Guy's Legends, his
South Loop club. "I have to wait for this to set in. This is a dream come
true."

The five finalists beat out nominees that included the J. Geils Band, the
late country singer Conway Twitty and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its inductions March 14
at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York.

That's a million miles away from Guy's roots as the son of a Louisiana
sharecropper. "My only sister still living called me from Baton Rouge," Guy
said. "She couldn't believe it. She was the one who put up with me when I
was running people out of the house by hitting one lick."

Guy's dramatic, muscular style had a profound effect on rock legends Jimi
Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. In recent years students such as Eric
Clapton, Jimmy Page and Carlos Santana have championed Guy's inclusion into
the rock hall. A new Guy-Santana collaboration should be released by
induction time, according to the new hall of famer. On Jan. 5, Guy begins
his annual monthlong residency at Legends.

Guy migrated north in the fall of 1957. "When I came to Chicago, you had to
play the top 10, records on the jukebox," Guy explained. "Every blues bar
had Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Muddy Waters. If you could play
all them, you could make $2 a night. In the 1960s they started calling that
rock 'n' roll."

Sledge will always be known for his smash 1966 hit "When a Man Loves a
Woman" although his heartfelt 1969 ballad "True Love Travels on a Gravel
Road" was popularized by Elvis Presley.  The 63-year-old was genuinely
touched when wife Rosa told him about the induction. "I thought I might
have imagined it in my sleep, so I told myself, 'If I'm sleeping, don't
wake me up, let me dream on,' " he said Monday. "I'm happy to be going into
the hall at the same time as Buddy. I've always thought he was one of the
greatest blues players I've heard, and maybe someday I can play his club in
Chicago."

About 800 industry professionals, previous inductees and journalists vote
on the inductions into the Cleveland-based museum. Artists are eligible
after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.