[Slowhand] Sweet Home Chicago

Jon Maclean macca461 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 22:08:01 EST 2004

With all the positive feedback for the new CD/DVD combo, I thought I'd raise
one small issue.
Eric does a fabulous version of Sweet Home Chicago, but if you listen
carefully to the lyrics they differ from Johnson's original on the Complete
RJ box set (2 CD on Columbia).
Whereas Johnson's mathematics remain true, Clapton sings "two and four is
eight", which is obviously nonsensical. Clapton is generally very particular
in his attention to detail, so his version must be based on something else.
I seem to remember his live versions in 94 also included mathematical
errors. Maybe he just keeps forgetting the right lyric!
It's hardly a ground-breaking issue, but I'm just curious if anyone has a
theory.

Cheers,
Jon