[Slowhand] Re: Release of Sessions for RJ downunder

Carey Bird cbird at ihug.com.au
Sun Dec 19 22:02:48 EST 2004

I dont know when this disk will be released downunder (I'm in Australia),
and have not been able to track any info down from the usual sources (Warner
Music etc).

Local record companies' delays in releasing product is an issue that is
seriously starting to **** me off.  I've been looking out for a number of
releases that have been available overseas for a while now but have not
shown up here yet including:

SRV's Live at Montreaux DVD
Crossroads Guitar Beneifit DVD
Sessions for RJ DVD

(Actually I now see Crossroads is due for Release in late Jan '05).

I generally try and support the local distributors and retailers and not buy
on the net, but charity only extends so far...  Which raises a serious
question: what is the reason for the delay in releasing these disks? Is
there a simple explanation I'm missing here?  These disks are not on cinema
release so the arguments about timing that are used to justify region coding
do not apply. We speak (more or less) the same language as the UK and USA,
so its not as if they have to be dubbed into French. Is there a
manufacturing capacity constraint?

The labels seem quick to bleat about illegal copying and downloading, but if
I cant obtain a copy legally, then why shouldn't I be entitled to resort to
other alternatives?

Carey Bird (who at least knows what WONT be turning up in his Christmas
stocking).