[Slowhand] EC and the Comfort Zone

blues4jr at aol.com blues4jr at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 07:45:49 EST 2004

Thanks Nick for bringing the board a bit alive...Several issues I'd like to comment on. A post commented that Cream was a pure Rock band. I disagree. They had/have a heavy jazz and blues influence in their rock, unlike any band before or since. Another post commented on how they would like to see EC bust out with a killer album and blow people off the stage at the Grammy's. Sounds like an oximoron to me. The kind of EC I believe we are looking for will not be mainstream Grammy material. As for the comments on EC being in the comfort zone with his recent material; yes and no. I was a little disappointed with his set list at the Crossroads Festival. It was in his "comfort zone". That was the place for EC to take the chance and prove to the world he was still unequivocably #1 - he didn't. But the RJ releases I believe were a huge risk for him. Think about it. Covering only songs by the legendary Robert Johnson. Kind of like an artist only covering Beatle or Dylan songs effectively. And, I believe EC did justice to RJ. As usual, EC is contradictory. He does stay within a comfort zone, but does venture out of it. Just look at the upcoming Cream reunion. Another huge risk. How could he possibly live up to the legend of 1960's Cream? Personally, I believe he thinks he can, or he wouldn't be doing it.

John Roe