[Slowhand] re: nick, opinions, covers

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Thu Dec 30 13:01:33 EST 2004

Phyllis wrote...
> I think you should keep your opinion to yourself of EC.  Time for you to
> find a new interest.

Brad wrote...
> Who cares what you think.

   Of all the recent posts to this list, I disagree with these the most.
The one opinion I do not want to hear expressed is this one.  As long as
the discussion stays civil, and admittedly Nick has tight-roped that
occasionally, dissenting opinions are welcome here.

   If you feel that someone's opinion is so wrong that it needs to
suppressed, you should have no problem explaining to them why they're
so wrong, so do that and straighten them out instead.  If you can't,
maybe they're not so wrong.

Susan Marchman wrote...
> Dylan covers, Johnson covers, Harrison tributes.  Many great recordings,
> many great performances.  Sometimes note for original note, sometimes he
> makes them his own and takes these pieces to places unheard
> of--sometimes great nuggets.  But the nuggets you mention in particular
> are all over thirty years old.  (Don't get me wrong, I'm not
> denigrating the songs you mentioned nor any of the old classics, they
> will forever be favorites).

   This made me think, and realise why I'd like to see new original work.
I'm younger than most on the list, younger in fact than a lot of the
music I listen to.  As such, I stand a real good chance of out-living all
the artists I listen to... by decades.  Too many are already gone.  Since
there's hardly any decent music being made now, that isn't a cover of a
classic, what am I going to listen to 30 years from now?  The same music
I listen to now, that'll be 60 years old by then?

   On the other hand, if there were new classics being written and
recorded now, and if someday musical talent again becomes a consideration
for becoming a rock star, maybe in 30 years I can hear worthwhile covers of
what is original now.  It's like the difference between microwaving
left-overs once, versus twice.  Once can taste real good, but twice never
works.

--
 David Hillman