[Slowhand] OT: CD-R Info

Bryan Reid humblephoenix at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 16:19:17 EST 2005

I have recently taken a look at the CD-R blanks that are available and have
changed what I'm using, so I thought I'd share my research with the group.

I have long used gold CD-Rs because gold is totally inert and therefore is a
neutral medium, but I haven't been too discriminating about the dye, which
is the actual data storage part of the CD-R. What I have found is that
PhthaloCyanine dye, which has a gold color, is now considered to be the
best, both in terms of quality of reproduction (i.e., lowest error rate) and
in terms of storage life (the manufacturers advertise that they have up to a
300 year storage life but this is based upon extreme testing and a lot of
mathematical modeling). As I was researching this, I came across a thread on
a chat group of archivists for museums, universities and the like. They were
very enthusiastic about their experience with this medium.

I've been using Delkin's eFilm Archival Gold CD-Rs for a little more than a
month and have been very happy (zero error rate and very hi-fi
reproduction). I've also been using their DVD-R blanks as well and am very
happy with those as well. I have ordered but not received yet, some Mitsui
CD-R blanks (they're the folks who make PhthaloCyanine).

They're not the cheapest but I don't like the idea of losing my music
because I burned it on a crappy, cheap CD-R.

Bryan