[Slowhand] MC Spice Brings Eric Clapton Into Rap

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Thu Feb 9 17:48:14 EST 2006

* Anyone heard this yet?

*
Author: ThugLifeArmy.com
Boston rapper, MC Spice has been heavily promoting the June 14, 2005
release of his CD, "Lover Brown," but the public has grown to love the
re-working of Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" on the song, "Remember
Me" featuring Mr. Clapton on the hook

Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" touched the hearts of millions who've
lost loved ones, and producer/songwriter/actor/rapper, MC Spice gets by
with a little help from Clapton in the hip-hop/rap adaptation of the
colossal hit which Clapton wrote as an ode to his son.

"I've always been a fan of Clapton since Steely Dan. That voice is just
smooth as butter. I remember checkin' out "Hey 19" and I knew he musta
been cool to acknowledge Aretha Franklin in a song," says Spice via
telephone at his home in Boston, Massachusetts. The rapper is
responsible for the platinum success of actor Mark Wahlberg who
performed as 'Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch,' netting Interscope Records
millions of dollars.

Spice digs deep into his soul and expresses the loss of loved ones,
including his grandmother and his deejay, Wessy Wess who was murdered
gangland style in Boston. The pain of the artist is felt throughout the
music and is easily identifiable with all who've gone through times of
mourning. Each verse is topped off with Clapton's signature sound.

Currently, Spice is doing extensive work in urban communities promoting
Bipolar awareness and helping children afflicted with the disorder to
better cope with the illness. Diagnosed with Bipolar ten years ago,
Spice explains his bout with the disorder in the song, "My Mind Is A
Battlefield," and acts as a liaison between the Child & Adolescent
Bipolar Foundation and young urban mothers and their children.

Source: http://www.thuglifearmy.com/news/articles/50880/

* Here's the original article that appeared on the Digest:

Eric Clapton and Rap Music - A Perfect Combo

1 May 2005: UCW Newsroom <http://news.ucwe.com/>

/UCWE/ - Rapper, producer MC Spice, responsible for the platinum hit
"Good Vibrations" (Mark "Marky Mark" Wahlberg) has teamed up with Eric
Clapton for the Hip-Hop remake of Cream's former band mate's "Tears in
Heaven". Spice's new single, "Remember Me" features Clapton on the hook
as the Boston rapper asks lost loved ones if they'd remember him in
Heaven as they did when they were on Earth.

"If Spice can't breathe, Momma don't grieve / though my mind was
deceived, my heart still believed / I'm doing fine, spoke to some
friends of mine / and family that past, and just before my last /
breath, I prayed the prayer Wes was praying on the gurney / begging for
forgiveness / wish me a peaceful journey..." raps the former Creative
Director of Clear Channel's WOWI-FM and WUSL-FM. As co-owner of Boston's
Dudley Station Records which includes Lakeisha "Spirit" Gilliard,
Blueprint, Latia Dickerson and Lenora Jaye, MC Spice's album Lover Brown
delivers classic Hip-Hop with well-woven words of wisdom throughout.

The album is profanity-free, yet gives the purist what they want, as
Spice makes up for the profane language in rap by going back to basics
with raw rhymes that make you think. The song, "I Met A Girl" produced
by Hashim LaRock shows the heart of a street kid in love spiritually as
Spice raps: "Mamma, I met a girl, and I'm in love now, I met a girl, we
gettin' married, too / I met a girl / and she reminds me of you, some
things she do, and she's so fine." Influenced by the likes of Rod
Stewart, Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson, MC Spice's formula is lyrics
first, and lyrics with meaning. "Remember Me" is just a taste of the
spicy flavor offered in the full-length Lover Brown available this
summer. For more information on MC Spice and the new single featuring
Eric Clapton, visit www.DudleyStationRecords.com
<http://www.dudleystationrecords.com/> .

Kevin

*