[Slowhand] Concert For George Revisited

Len Moskowitz lenmoskowitz at optonline.net
Sun Mar 5 13:16:18 EST 2006

I find myself coming back over and over again to the "Concert For George"
DVDs. The performances and the emotions conveyed by the performers still
move me.

My latest observation was the way Dhani moved over to Eric and put his head
on Erics chest & shoulder during Joe Brown's rendition of "I'll See You In
My Dreams". I imagine that it was an expression of closeness that Dhani
might have done with his father. And with George being gone, Eric stood in,
willingly. 'Tis a lovely and moving moment.

On the technical side, during "My Sweet Lord" Andy F-L is either playing
Rocky (George's Fender Stratocaster, painted by "The Fool") or a replica of
it. Towards the end of the song, there's a right side shot of Billy Preston
singing, and Andy F-L is behind him to his right. It's the only clear shot
of the guitar. Anyone know if that was the real Rocky or not?

And a question: in the credits we learn that the bass player in Joe Brown's
band is Dave "Rico" Niles. Is Dave related to Tessa Niles?

Lately I've also been watching the "Concert For Bangladesh" DVDs. Comparing
the two performances, it amazes me how much Rock and Roll musicianship has
improved during the years between them. What was difficult to play back
then now looks simple. Everything sounds so much better.

Len Moskowitz
Teaneck NJ (USA)