[Slowhand] Some Interesting Quotes

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 21:41:05 EST 2006

I came across a few interesting Clapton articles and quotes in the past week. We've discussed some of these topics here in the pages of the Slowhand Digest before. So, for your reading pleasure ...

On his guitar playing:

"Quite honestly I don't think I could play one of those solos on every track. My lead guitar playing has really slipped because I'm controlling the band, writing songs, everything else. Consequently something has to suffer and the lead guitar has probably suffered most of all" (Barbara Charone, "Eric Clapton: Farther On Up The Road," "Sounds," October 1976, http://theband.hiof.no/articles/clapton_interview_sounds_oct_1976.html).

-----

On his politics:

Defender of the blues, composer of concertos, rock prommer; Clapton is an ardent traditionalist these days, a small 'c' conservative whose continuing pre-eminence in his field combined with his readiness to perform for uncontroversially Good Causes such as the Prince's Trust and Amnesty International must make him a strong candidate for a knighthood. (Only last year Prince Charles presented him with, yes, another award, to mark his 25 years in the music business.) And although Clapton is dismissively modest about his vast accumulation of such honours - "it's nice to get a pat on the back" - you sense that they actually mean a lot to him (Robert Sandall, "Eric Clapton: The Solo Artist ," "Q," January 1990, http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=1399).

I'm one of those people on the scene that just has an absolute aversion to trying to be topical or trying to promote a message and using music as a platform to say something about a political situation or world starvation, anything! That's fine for other people, I just don't like it (laughs) so it was really difficult to write this song ["Revolution"] (Eric Clapton as quoted in "Back Home," "Where's ERIC!" February 2006 [Issue 38], p. 7, interview extracts from Warner Brothers EPK).

-----

On his latest album, "Back Home":

People say that if you want to bore someone silly, sing them a happy love song! It's a difficult formula, but that's what I wanted to do (Eric Clapton as quoted in "Back Home," "Where's ERIC!" February 2006 [Issue 38], p. 7, interview extracts from Warner Brothers EPK).

DeltaNick

"Billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions ..." -- Carl Sagan