[Slowhand] re- Jimi, EC & revisionism

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Fri Mar 31 02:38:14 EST 2006

Why is the version I have of the interview different? Mine is extracted
from a paperback on Rolling Stone Magazine interviews. Extract follows:

---

Jan Wenner: What do you think about Jimi Hendrix?

Eric Clapton: I don't really want to be critical about it. I think Jimi
can sing very well; he just puts it around that he can't sing and
everyone accepts it. I think he can sing very well. I also think he's a
great guitarist. I don't like to watch him too much 'cause I prefer to
listen to him. When he first came to England, you know English people
have a very big thing towards a spade. They really love that magic
thing, the sexual thing. They all fall for that sort of thing. Everybody
and his brother in England still sort of think that spades have big
dicks. And Jimi came over and exploited that to the limit, the fucking
tee. Everybody fell for it. Shit.

---

By the way, this interview was conducted by Jann Wenner in 1967 in
Sausalito during the Cream's first tour of the United States and
published in the May 1968 edition of Rolling Stone.